Did you mean: 

New - Looking to rebuild credit to buy a house in 18 months

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: New - Looking to rebuild credit to buy a house in 18 months

check your PM

@liesierre wrote:

Well... I just picked the Cash one. It would be the most useful probably.

We'll see what happens. I should probably not apply for anything else right now.

Capital One® Card Application

Thank You!
Thank you for submitting an application for a Capital One® credit card!

Notification of approval status will be typically sent in 7 to 10 business days; however, in certain circumstances it may take up to 15 days.

In the interim, please do not submit another application, as only the first application received will be considered valid.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 51 of 53
distantarray
Established Contributor

MyFico is a good resource but if you want to repair your credit try creditboards that's where I fixed mine. They know each laws in each state, and shows you ways to clean your report. You would be surprised what you can accomplish in 18 months. Also if your father is willing to do it have him add you on his credit cards it'll boost up your credit scores considerably if he has long good strong credit histories on his cards.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 52 of 53
credit3xhausted
Valued Member

@liesierre wrote:

The shopping card trick looks promising. I think the only one of those stores I really shop at is Victorias Secret though, only like twice a year. I guess it would be worth it to order 1 thing every 2 or 3 months just to get something going though.

I do shop with Amazon and use Paypal a lot... I don't suppose either one of those would help me? I always get the popup for Bill Me Later with Paypal... would that do anything to help my credit or do they not report unless you are late/collections?

After you open a Capital One card, open either the Amazon or Paypal.  I myself prefer the Paypal card because there is more flexibility as to where to use it.  Don't apply for prime cards because all require that you have established revolving credit of at least one year, which unfortunately you don't have.  Start small and build up.  If you have $7K plus in a savings account, then use that to your advantage.  I know that banks like BOA and WF counter offer with secure cards.  Use some of the money (at least $2500) to secure a card.  This will give you a great starting credit limit and will eventually graduate and you will get to keep that credit limit.   Either start with a Prime Secured Card like BOA or Wells Fargo or subprime with a high interest rate Capital One or worse First Premier.  Just my 2 cents.

MyFico on 03/30/12: EQ 500; MyFico as of 03/06/2013: EQ 653
Wal-Mart (TU08) on 12/09/2012: 637; Wal-Mart (TU08) 03/07/2013: 700

Message 53 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.