cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member...Just thought I would share!

tag
C7LT1
New Contributor

New Member...Just thought I would share!

Hello all,

I just started reading this forum about a month ago. My credit history went from none-to-good-to-bad and back to decent over the last 9 years.
I have not had a credit card in 6 years. After reading all the good stuff about NFCU and PenFed I decided to start a relationship with both. I have been with USAA for the past 7 years and will continue to use them as my main bank. Their customer sevice and website is the best IMO.

NCFU

-Opened a checking and savings account on 5/10

-Apped for a Visa Cash rewards on 5/17 approved for 14k CL.

PenFed

Opened a saving account on 5/12

Apped for a AmEx Defender card on 5/12 approved for 5K

Apped for a Platuim reward card on 5/21 approved for 1.5K

Eq Fico was 687 at the time with 3 open installment loans (Car, Motorcycle and Student loan) totalling 24k and AU on one CC with 50% untilzation ($2500 balance should be paid off in 2 months. I have 3 baddies on my report one will drop this year, one next year and the last one will be 2016. I have already started GWing.

The reason I started these these relationships is because I improve my score by having a good mix of credit and in 2015 I plan of taking out a $50k car loan and they same to have the best interest rates and I found threads from 2008 that said the same thing.

In the garden until June 2018

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: New Member...Just thought I would share!

Congrats and continued success

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on all your recent success and welcome to the forum!!Smiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 3 of 10
C7LT1
New Contributor

Thank you, Thank you!

In the garden until June 2018

Message 4 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Your on a roll! Excellent work!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 10
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Fabulous turnaround - congrats.  ...and welome to the forums.

Message 6 of 10
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@C7LT1 wrote:

Hello all,

I just started reading this forum about a month ago. My credit history went from none-to-good-to-bad and back to decent over the last 9 years.
I have not had a credit card in 6 years. After reading all the good stuff about NFCU and PenFed I decided to start a relationship with both. I have been with USAA for the past 7 years and will continue to use them as my main bank. Their customer sevice and website is the best IMO.

NCFU

-Opened a checking and savings account on 5/10

-Apped for a Visa Cash rewards on 5/17 approved for 14k CL.

PenFed

Opened a saving account on 5/12

Apped for a AmEx Defender card on 5/12 approved for 5K

Apped for a Platuim reward card on 5/21 approved for 1.5K

Eq Fico was 687 at the time with 3 open installment loans (Car, Motorcycle and Student loan) totalling 24k and AU on one CC with 50% untilzation ($2500 balance should be paid off in 2 months. I have 3 baddies on my report one will drop this year, one next year and the last one will be 2016. I have already started GWing.

The reason I started these these relationships is because I improve my score by having a good mix of credit and in 2015 I plan of taking out a $50k car loan and they same to have the best interest rates and I found threads from 2008 that said the same thing.

Having been a member of USAA for roughly 2 decades, I would question why someone would want to keep them as their main bank. 

Food for thought:  If you have a savings account with USAA you are only earning 0.2% if you have 10k or more in your account.  If you have USAA's performance first savings account, you are only earning 0.3% if you have 50k or more in your account.

Whereas with NFCU:  You earn 0.25% in a regular share savings account.  And with a MMSA, you can earn 0.4% to 0.55% on 50k or more.  And checking earns 0.05% compared to USAA's 0.01% 

You can put your money to work more with NFCU than with USAA.

Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 10
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Oops, unintentional post

Message 9 of 10
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums, thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.