Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mileage Plus Visa weirdness

tag
redheadtempe36
Contributor

Re: New Mileage Plus Visa weirdness

Thanks all and I have to admit, not my card or wallet.  Smiley Happy.  Just found the image on Google (though the card looks identical).  Card worked fine today.  I only asked because twice in the past 6 months I have had a merchant take an imprint of my card (1 cab and one resturant whose machine was down) and the embossed numbers on this card probably aren't "high" enough to "read".  

Message 11 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@redheadtempe36 wrote:

Thanks all and I have to admit, not my card or wallet.  Smiley Happy.  Just found the image on Google (though the card looks identical).  Card worked fine today.  I only asked because twice in the past 6 months I have had a merchant take an imprint of my card (1 cab and one resturant whose machine was down) and the embossed numbers on this card probably aren't "high" enough to "read".  

That's the only down-side to the 'flat' cards... if there ever is a need for an impression from an old-time imprinter, you'll be out of luck. 

When I got my first QS1 which was also 'flat', I was very interested in how a situation like that would be handled, however unlikely, so I looked up the merchant information on the MasterCard site.  The language from MasterCard stated that if a customer presents a 'flat' card and an imprint is required for whatever reason, the merchant is allowed to ask the customer to use a different MasterCard... not exactly a solid outcome for the customer.  (I didn't check the Visa sight, but I assumed the language is the same).

Honestly, the chances of this happening are slim, and like you mention, it's pretty specific situations where it would ever come up, anyway.  I still kept this in the back of my mind back when the 'flat' QS1 was my only card, though.  The ironic part is, not only was it never a problem, I actually had just got to really liking the card being flat (they stack easier) when Capital One decided to switch back to the old, embossed cards <sigh>. 

Now I have a wallet filled with a very diverse card collection... some are flat, some embossed, one is clear, and one has the info on the back - so no matter what comes up, I've likely got one that will work.  LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love Bellroy's hide and seek wallet.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@redheadtempe36 wrote:

That's the only down-side to the 'flat' cards... if there ever is a need for an impression from an old-time imprinter, you'll be out of luck. 

When I got my first QS1 which was also 'flat', I was very interested in how a situation like that would be handled, however unlikely, so I looked up the merchant information on the MasterCard site.  The language from MasterCard stated that if a customer presents a 'flat' card and an imprint is required for whatever reason, the merchant is allowed to ask the customer to use a different MasterCard... not exactly a solid outcome for the customer.  (I didn't check the Visa sight, but I assumed the language is the same).

Honestly, the chances of this happening are slim, and like you mention, it's pretty specific situations where it would ever come up, anyway.  I still kept this in the back of my mind back when the 'flat' QS1 was my only card, though.  The ironic part is, not only was it never a problem, I actually had just got to really liking the card being flat (they stack easier) when Capital One decided to switch back to the old, embossed cards <sigh>. 

Now I have a wallet filled with a very diverse card collection... some are flat, some embossed, one is clear, and one has the info on the back - so no matter what comes up, I've likely got one that will work.  LOL  Smiley Very Happy

I used to work retail (middle mgmt), and we had a long discussion about this when the flat cards first appeared.  It was decided (as we always type in the numbers as soon as the system comes back up) to just write down the numbers on the standard manual imprint form.  

Also, I just got my new Cap1 QS card today, and it's switched back to the embossed numbers.  I really liked the flat card.

Got the new card today, and will be getting the new picture card in a couple of days.  Not the all black card I wanted to try to design, but almost as cool.

Message 14 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@redheadtempe36 wrote:

I used to work retail (middle mgmt), and we had a long discussion about this when the flat cards first appeared.  It was decided (as we always type in the numbers as soon as the system comes back up) to just write down the numbers on the standard manual imprint form.  

Also, I just got my new Cap1 QS card today, and it's switched back to the embossed numbers.  I really liked the flat card.

Got the new card today, and will be getting the new picture card in a couple of days.  Not the all black card I wanted to try to design, but almost as cool.

+1 and +1!

My last retail job we had the exact same discussion... and 'off the record' came to the same conclusion.  I didn't mention it here first since writing an entire account number down by hand is a bit more 'taboo' now than it was then, but if you're taking an imprint you're collecting the entire number anyway.  We also used the imprinter for off-premise sales to company employees, and any card that wasn't able to leave an imprint always got recorded by hand on the imprint slip, and as far as I know no one ever objected.

Like you, we would promptly key the transaction when the system came back up, and it was processed as if the card didn't swipe. The low-dollar sales weren't a concern, and with high-dollar sales we knew quite a bit about the customer, so fraud/chargebacks weren't a problem.  Also, since this was only necessary when the POS was down, it was rarely done to begin with.

I also grew to love the flat QS card... I suspect at some point more issuers will be changing over to that format, and perhaps Capital One will even change the QS back to the 'flat' style!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.