Did you mean: 

New MyFico Trend?? "Less is More?"

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: New MyFico Trend?? "Less is More?"

@pizza1 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:
Through security at Times Square and on a tiny mobile screen, so keeping this short.

UncleB, I guess it works for you. I have reasons for all my cards, but I know my reasons for some are pretty weak. I'm trying to make up my mind about how good a reason I need to keep a card. I know two of thirteen I wouldn't apply for again, and to me that suggests my reasons for keeping them may be questionable.

Humu, perhaps "a bunch" wasn't the correct term, but you did start that thread mentioning closing two clothing store cards and two other unspecified Comenity cards. Even if there weren't others, my general point about improving card quality remains.

Hey CB..

To each is own, eh? Also, no need to split hairs on a "bunch" of wording that was previously said.  It was said, no big deal.Smiley Happy

I will agree with your comment on improving card quality though.  I think that is eventually everyone's goal (again, Im "generalizing"), including rebuilders such as myself  Smiley Wink I have a feeling that the closer I get to my BK falling off, and aging down the road, the more I'll adopt the attitude of "less is more". 

By then, Ill be "tired'.  Tired of the game, tired of managing 20+ cards, tired of checking scores and accts constantly, tired of the CLI game,  tired of being tired !! LOL.. Smiley Wink It will probably come a relief! 

Have you considered clustering by logins and using activity alerts? I find that helps my lineup stay efficient.

It won't help with the CLI game, though. I won that by just not caring anymore. Smiley Wink

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 131 of 135
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:
Through security at Times Square and on a tiny mobile screen, so keeping this short.

UncleB, I guess it works for you. I have reasons for all my cards, but I know my reasons for some are pretty weak. I'm trying to make up my mind about how good a reason I need to keep a card. I know two of thirteen I wouldn't apply for again, and to me that suggests my reasons for keeping them may be questionable.

Humu, perhaps "a bunch" wasn't the correct term, but you did start that thread mentioning closing two clothing store cards and two other unspecified Comenity cards. Even if there weren't others, my general point about improving card quality remains.

Hey CB..

To each is own, eh? Also, no need to split hairs on a "bunch" of wording that was previously said.  It was said, no big deal.Smiley Happy

I will agree with your comment on improving card quality though.  I think that is eventually everyone's goal (again, Im "generalizing"), including rebuilders such as myself  Smiley Wink I have a feeling that the closer I get to my BK falling off, and aging down the road, the more I'll adopt the attitude of "less is more". 

By then, Ill be "tired'.  Tired of the game, tired of managing 20+ cards, tired of checking scores and accts constantly, tired of the CLI game,  tired of being tired !! LOL.. Smiley Wink It will probably come a relief! 

Have you considered clustering by logins and using activity alerts? I find that helps my lineup stay efficient.

It won't help with the CLI game, though. I won that by just not caring anymore. Smiley Wink

LOL..

I have alerts  set on every card...set at the lowest number possible for everything, like $1 for purchases, etc.. and my alerts set for $1 from CL, LOL..so if my CL is $48k...my limit is set to $47,999...hahah...maybe a little overkill, but it works for me. Smiley Wink

Message 132 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I can see how that would be a pain. If you look at all of them, that takes time. If you don't, they're ineffective and you could miss something.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 133 of 135
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

Revelate, I think you should get your "Moderator Stick" back!

You have insightful thoughts, and I appreciate your community spirit.

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 134 of 135
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

At the risk of redundancy due to not reading the entire 12 page thread, I think that part of the rise of "less is more" is with mutliple-card rewards programs. Having 18 specific cash back cards makes a lot less sense when you can put everything towards UR points and get equal or better total rewards while planning your vacations. It also makes those programs more valuable than they were previously, as the limited categories might not have justified the annual fee. Now, though, the value of Freedom or FU doubles when you have a CSP, CSR, or Ink Plus, so that fee is mitigated by your other spending patterns. 

Petrovious, I couldn't agree with you more!

For my spend, I would have probably 95% of my credit card needs met with the Chase Trifecta. Especially with there UR transfer program in place. 

My only "concern," and I use that term lightly, would be if I ONLY had 3 cc's, they would all be from the same issuer. Thus, I would have no diversity. 

I think Chase has done an excellent job of marketing there credit card products. In addition, there self imposed 5/24 rule strongly indicates they prefer there customers to subscribe to the "Less is More" philosophy. 

excellent points Petrovious!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 135 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.