Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MyFico Trend?? "Less is More?"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New MyFico Trend?? "Less is More?"

@UncleB wrote:

I'm always open to a different way of looking at things.  All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

Excellent points as always, UncleB. You are the best! Smiley Happy

Message 61 of 135
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@driftless wrote:
You would hope that people, particularly those who are rebuilding, would post in the Approval Section; those approvals are a big deal. The threads that annoy me in the Approval Section are the pages and pages where the posters only post "congrats!" and nothing more.

I've always hoped those threads would have more useful questions and/or discussion (e.g., was it instant approval, how long was the review, did you feel good about your chances, etc).  Sometimes they do, but most of the time not.

@UncleB wrote:

I believe that 'less is more' as long as your needs are met.  I do not believe in keeping to an arbitrary number of cards "just because".

My cards are in my signature below, and I also have Belk, Lowe's and Care Credit as well.  Each and every one of my cards serves a purpose; if and when any of them stop serving a purpose they will be closed - it's not rocket science.  Smiley Happy

I continue to post in the 'Approvals' section since I believe my data points might be helpful to others on the forum who might have a similar credit profile (my approval posts can be borderline 'wall of text' with the amount of detail I try to provide).  Those who don't find my approval threads useful don't have to read them.

This being said, I'm not going to knock anybody who picks an arbitrary number and decides that's their personal 'optimal' number of credit accounts.  Even though that approach isn't right for me personally, there is likely wisdom in their underlying reasoning - and I'm always open to a different way of looking at things.  All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

I really appreciate those, like you, who post a lot of details with their approvals.  I make a habit of searching approval posts for cards I'm interested in.  Detailed approval posts are a gold mine for evaluating whether my profile has a good chance of approval.  It can be frustrating when you find the approval posts that say "approved! 8k" and the replies are all "congrats" lol.

Message 62 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB wrote:

This being said,

All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

grillandwinemaster wrote:

if anybody disrespects Uncle B, there going to have to deal with me!😠 Lol

humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Agree 100%, grillandwinemaster. Disrespect can mushroom out of control on myfico at times, and UncleB is one of the nicest, most positive, and most helpful on this board. He is excellent at keeping a positive direction when things start to spiral negatively. Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I continue to post in the 'Approvals' section since I believe my data points might be helpful to others on the forum who might have a similar credit profile (my approval posts can be borderline 'wall of text' with the amount of detail I try to provide).  Those who don't find my approval threads useful don't have to read them.

Your data points are most useful. Data points is precisely the reason we are encouraged to make approval posts. There's been many times that I search the approval boards for specific data points on a specific credit product. Your posts are always useful. 

This being said,

All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

+1 got that right grill....UncleB is my idol! Truly a great person...

Message 64 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Falere wrote:

I really appreciate those, like you, who post a lot of details with their approvals.  I make a habit of searching approval posts for cards I'm interested in.  Detailed approval posts are a gold mine for evaluating whether my profile has a good chance of approval.  It can be frustrating when you find the approval posts that say "approved! 8k" and the replies are all "congrats" lol.

Detailed approval posts help others; but we also have to respect the privacy of those who may not wish to post certain details such as their FICO score, utilization, or other information whatever their reasons may be. Some may want to avoid being jumped on by others, which has happened here, unfortunately. 

UncleB does a fantastic job of taking this board correctly in a positive direction where we support and help each other in a constructive manner. I applaud him!

Message 65 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I believe that 'less is more' as long as your needs are met.  I do not believe in keeping to an arbitrary number of cards "just because".

My cards are in my signature below, and I also have Belk, Lowe's and Care Credit as well.  Each and every one of my cards serves a purpose; if and when any of them stop serving a purpose they will be closed - it's not rocket science.  Smiley Happy

This being said, I'm not going to knock anybody who picks an arbitrary number and decides that's their personal 'optimal' number of credit accounts.  Even though that approach isn't right for me personally, there is likely wisdom in their underlying reasoning - and I'm always open to a different way of looking at things.  All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

I'm curious as to the purpose of the two QS cards and Delta.

Does it matter? 

Message 66 of 135
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Your data points are most useful. Data points is precisely the reason we are encouraged to make approval posts. There's been many times that I search the approval boards for specific data points on a specific credit product. Your posts are always useful. 

This being said,

I gotcha beat Donny. He's my Unka! 😎

Message 67 of 135
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I'm curious as to the purpose of the two QS cards and Delta.

Does it matter? 

It's all good.  Smiley Happy

I gave a decent explanation; if anybody wants any additional detail they can PM me... I don't want to make the thread suffer though a blow-by-blow of how I use (and value) each of my cards.  I can promise, though, they each do have a purpose - I didn't just apply for any of them for the 'fun' of it... I waited too long for my credit profile to be ready for my particular cards to apply for things randomly.  Smiley Wink

Message 68 of 135
tacpoly
Established Contributor

I'm an advocate of the "less is more" approach to the number of credit cards in a portfolio.  To me having credit cards is a convenience:  I don't have to go to the bank for cash, they give protection that cash doesn't, I can see my spending collated at the end of the year, I get rewards for spending the money I was going to spend anyway, etc...  Having too many cards or too many rewards programs negate that convenience.  At this point in my life, I'd rather use a few good rewards cards and not have to expend the effort, than saving a few more cents maximizing my rewards spend.  No, I don't want to put in the effort of establishing a system -- I have neither the inclination nor the energy. 

I generally don't care how many other people have.  However, I do question the wisdom of a rebuilder going on a (store) card app spree.  I would think that having the chance to do credit over again, careful thought and planning would be the approach. 

I would also like to add (although I actually don't post these thoughts often) that I think it's crazy when folks -- newbies, rebuilders, and veterans -- continue to apply for credit even when they experience multiple denials or adverse actions; they just 'recon' away.  I mean if your credit profile is such that the initial decision is negative, perhaps take the time to improve said profile instead of 'reconning' then going after the next credit card 'since I already took a hard pull'.  I doubt these credit lines are so critical that they can't wait 6 months or a year.

Message 69 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This being said,

I gotcha beat Donny. He's my Unka! 😎

Not fair..Smiley Mad lol!!!

Message 70 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.