Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MyFico Trend?? "Less is More?"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New MyFico Trend?? "Less is More?"

I think the main thing is that we can each only speak for ourselves and not anyone else. None of us really know another person's situation. There are many different ways to approach situations, and there is no one singular "right" way to do things.

We can suggest ideas to others in a friendly, respectful way, but all the while knowing that unless someone asks us specifically to tell them what to do, we can only suggest ideas in a polite way that respects the person and is friendly.

Message 71 of 135
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This being said,

All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

if anybody disrespects Uncle B, there going to have to deal with me!😠 Lol

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Agree 100%, grillandwinemaster. Disrespect can mushroom out of control on myfico at times, and UncleB is one of the nicest, most positive, and most helpful on this board. He is excellent at keeping a positive direction when things start to spiral negatively. Smiley Happy

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 72 of 135
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I continue to post in the 'Approvals' section since I believe my data points might be helpful to others on the forum who might have a similar credit profile (my approval posts can be borderline 'wall of text' with the amount of detail I try to provide).  Those who don't find my approval threads useful don't have to read them.

Your data points are most useful. Data points is precisely the reason we are encouraged to make approval posts. There's been many times that I search the approval boards for specific data points on a specific credit product. Your posts are always useful. 

This being said,

All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

if anybody disrespects Uncle B, there going to have to deal with me!😠 Lol

+1

Message 73 of 135
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

I generally don't care how many other people have.  However, I do question the wisdom of a rebuilder going on a (store) card app spree.  I would think that having the chance to do credit over again, careful thought and planning would be the approach. 

Excellent point! If your a veteran credit "guru" do as you please. However, rebuilders do well to stand back and garner the wisdom and experience of those that have been there, done that, and own the t- shirt!

I hurt my AAofA back in the day when I went over board with store cards. Fortunately for me, I did manage to stay away from the SCT. But that was ONLY because I couldn't get the stupid web site to "read" me properly, NOT because I showed wisdom and restraint on my part! 

When rebuilding, I will definitely claim "Less is More" to any rebuilder that asks for guidance and direction and is willing to listen. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 74 of 135
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

It seems that in the past, going back a year or two, there was a definite trend on MyFico where more was better, in regards

to open credit card accounts.  

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a reversal of trends in which "less is more" is gaining momentum?  It appears

to me that more and more members are by choice, reducing there portfolio holdings.  

I recall some members being very active, that definitely were of the more is better mindset.  I 

a few members held credit card accounts that numbered close to the 100's??  It appears that you don't hear as much from some of

those members.  I wonder if they have just lost interest, or if there hobby "got them in trouble" in some form or fashion?  

Has anyone else noticed this "less is more" movement/trend?  What are your thoughts on the

"MORE IS BETTER,"  or "LESS IS BETTER" philosophies?  I'm not discounting either philosophy, just wanting input from both sides.

It's definitely true of me that when I started on this forum I was in an expansion mode, and that now I am (or should be) in a pruning or maintenance mode.

But I think it was really my own personal saga rather than MyFICO Forum groupthink that led me to expansion and then retraction or maintenance.

-I wanted to build good credit scores and good credit availability

-I was given a misleading impression by Credit Karma with its Vantage 3.0 algorithm that the more revolving accounts I had, the better for my score

-I also wanted to have the highest possible limits so that I would have the lowest possible utilization

-So I applied for cards, and applied for CLI's, whenever it felt like I had a shot

Since then I've learned that (a) I prefer a certain kind of card and have less use for certain other kinds of cards, (b) I prefer dealing with credit unions than banks, and (c) I prefer lines of credit to credit cards.

But how did I learn these? By experience. Only by getting various types of credit, and then checking them out, did I discover these things.

Most recently I cancelled my 3 Synchrony cards, because they were the types of cards for which I have the least use... those which are good for purchases but nothing else. I wouldn't want to use them for cash advances or carrying a balance, and they didn't offer balance transfers. They all had high credit limits (12k, 15k, and 20k) so it hurt, but I did it.

I was inspired by a recent rejection by a nice credit union on the ground that I had too much available credit.

So for me it's been a natural progression. Building credit, learning in the process, and now refining, all seem to have their place. 

While it's possible that MyFICO forums may have subliminally influenced me in that regard, I'm not so sure about that, because I think throughout the time I've been here there have been plenty of 'contrarian' posts suggesting less is more; because of my own needs, they were less influential to me early on, but are more influential to me now.

Message 75 of 135
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

It seems that in the past, going back a year or two, there was a definite trend on MyFico where more was better, in regards

to open credit card accounts.  

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a reversal of trends in which "less is more" is gaining momentum?  It appears

to me that more and more members are by choice, reducing there portfolio holdings.  

I recall some members being very active, that definitely were of the more is better mindset.  I 

a few members held credit card accounts that numbered close to the 100's??  It appears that you don't hear as much from some of

those members.  I wonder if they have just lost interest, or if there hobby "got them in trouble" in some form or fashion?  

Has anyone else noticed this "less is more" movement/trend?  What are your thoughts on the

"MORE IS BETTER,"  or "LESS IS BETTER" philosophies?  I'm not discounting either philosophy, just wanting input from both sides.

It's definitely true of me that when I started on this forum I was in an expansion mode, and that now I am (or should be) in a pruning or maintenance mode.

But I think it was really my own personal saga rather than MyFICO Forum groupthink that led me to expansion and then retraction or maintenance.

-I wanted to build good credit scores and good credit availability

-I was given a misleading impression by Credit Karma with its Vantage 3.0 algorithm that the more revolving accounts I had, the better for my score

-I also wanted to have the highest possible limits so that I would have the lowest possible utilization

-So I applied for cards, and applied for CLI's, whenever it felt like I had a shot

Since then I've learned that (a) I prefer a certain kind of card and have less use for certain other kinds of cards, (b) I prefer dealing with credit unions than banks, and (c) I prefer lines of credit to credit cards.

But how did I learn these? By experience. Only by getting various types of credit, and then checking them out, did I discover these things.

Most recently I cancelled my 3 Synchrony cards, because they were the types of cards for which I have the least use... those which are good for purchases but nothing else. I wouldn't want to use them for cash advances or carrying a balance, and they didn't offer balance transfers. They all had high credit limits (12k, 15k, and 20k) so it hurt, but I did it.

I was inspired by a recent rejection by a nice credit union on the ground that I had too much available credit.

So for me it's been a natural progression. Building credit, learning in the process, and now refining, all seem to have their place. 

While it's possible that MyFICO forums may have subliminally influenced me in that regard, I'm not so sure about that, because I think throughout the time I've been here there have been plenty of 'contrarian' posts suggesting less is more; because of my own needs, they were less influential to me early on, but are more influential to me now.

Well said, my friend.  Smiley Happy

Message 76 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmood1 wrote:
Not to be a smart @s. The only trend I see is the same members posting the same gripes about what others do. Lol

humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

+1

Message 77 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

I discovered the forum about a year ago and used the information to build a base of high signup bonus/no annual fee cards.  As long as you are learning and planning, you should be able to make the best decisions for you based on your file and experiences.

Message 78 of 135
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I believe that 'less is more' as long as your needs are met.  I do not believe in keeping to an arbitrary number of cards "just because".

My cards are in my signature below, and I also have Belk, Lowe's and Care Credit as well.  Each and every one of my cards serves a purpose; if and when any of them stop serving a purpose they will be closed - it's not rocket science.  Smiley Happy

I continue to post in the 'Approvals' section since I believe my data points might be helpful to others on the forum who might have a similar credit profile (my approval posts can be borderline 'wall of text' with the amount of detail I try to provide).  Those who don't find my approval threads useful don't have to read them.

This being said, I'm not going to knock anybody who picks an arbitrary number and decides that's their personal 'optimal' number of credit accounts.  Even though that approach isn't right for me personally, there is likely wisdom in their underlying reasoning - and I'm always open to a different way of looking at things.  All I ask for is that same respect in return.  Smiley Wink

I'm curious as to the purpose of the two QS cards and Delta.

The QS MasterCard is my oldest bankcard so I'm keeping it around mostly for its age.  My QS Visa is newer, but has better BT offers than the QS MasterCard.  I do understand how FICO treats closed accounts, but since there are many years difference between my QS MasterCard and all of my other cards and it has no AF I'm keeping it around (the QS Visa has an 'OK' credit line so there's no pressing reason to combine). 

I originally got the Delta to use as a 'donor' for my BCP (at the time I was unsure if they would ever give my BCP a much-needed CLI) but I was also able to 'bank' the 30k SkyMiles I got when opening it, and of course there's the baggage fee benefit if/when I decide to fly in the next year.  If my plans change and I end up not taking a flight in the next 12 months I'll probably close it, but I don't regret opening it in any case.

I can literally write a paragraph for each card I have on how useful it is to me if anybody is truly interested.  Smiley Happy

And I would totally read that!!! Smiley Wink  IF you do decide to publish such info... let me know!  (Even though they're 'your' reasons... I have a feeling there's a chance the information contained therein could still be quite useful (to someone, perhaps).

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 79 of 135
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The only thing worse than endless "Congrats" posts are the "UncleB is great" posts!   When he and I were serving time in federal prision in Marion for check kiting, credit card fraud and other things, he really wasn't a nice cell mate.

Oh wait, that was uncleC.  Sorry....

Message 80 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.