Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NFCU cash rewards card acting like a debit card at stores

tag
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Re: New NFCU cash rewards card acting like a debit card at stores

I was specifically addressing the Wal Mart concern in the OP, not elsewhere.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@USF813 wrote:
I was specifically addressing the Wal Mart concern in the OP, not elsewhere.

Gotcha.  

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried my Cash Rewards at Walmart. I was about to the other day but decided to use my Walmart stire credit card to give it some activity so I cant speak for Walmart but I have used my card at various places the last week for Christmas. Including Target, Toys R Us, and Gamestop and haven't had a issue with my cash Rewards at all. I have to cancel out of debit majority of the time but then it goes through as credit. I hope you get it figured out OP
Message 13 of 22
MT936
Established Contributor

I used my nfcu cash rewards credit card at best buy and it processed it as debit so i had to press cancel to make it credit. Very strange
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 14 of 22
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

That's the problem,  its a credit card without the chip,  so it should go through automatically as credit without canceling it. I'm glad it just isn't happening to just me, but to a couple of other people.  I didn't have this problem until they issued me a new card.

Message 15 of 22
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

It happened to me today at Walgreens when I swiped my card it asked for a PIN.............but a little icon saying "change to credit" also popped up.   I selected that and it went thru OK.......wonder if the same icon pops up at other stores or if the cashier has to set the register for credit or debit?  I know I am asked this often when I use CC or debit cards

Message 16 of 22
kjel
Established Contributor

Had the issue at Target the other night. Just hit the cancel button and signed for the purchase. Figured it was a Target issue, not a card issue. It's the only place that happened.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 17 of 22
manyquestions
Established Contributor

It started happening to me at walmart on a flagship card I have had for about a year. I press "change payment method" select "credit" and it goes through. I think you can also press cancel and it will go through as a credit card.
Message 18 of 22
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

It just seems strange that it only happens to the NFCU card and no other cc I have.

Message 19 of 22
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

This happened to me last Sunday at Macy's using my Cash Rewards Visa. I informed the clerk it wasn't debit, she made the payment change, and proceeded to run as credit.

SisterGirl
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.