Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

New Nationwide Card Arrived Today...Any Tips?

Lovely new shiny arrived in the mail today, but I haven't seen a lot of feedback from current cardholders regarding what Nationwide likes/dislikes. Any need to be careful about where I use it, how much I use it etc? Do they frown on carrying a balance? How about expectations on CLI's? Any info appreciated!

Starting Score: TU 718 - EQ 665 2010
Current Score: TU 765 (3/2013) - EQ 748 (3/2013)- EX 781 (Mortgage Pull 12/14/11)
Goal Score: TU 750 - EQ 750 I MADE IT!

Senior Contributor

Re: New Nationwide Card Arrived Today...Any Tips?

[ Edited ]

Midnight29 wrote:
Lovely new shiny arrived in the mail today, but I haven't seen a lot of feedback from current cardholders regarding what Nationwide likes/dislikes. Any need to be careful about where I use it, how much I use it etc? Do they frown on carrying a balance? How about expectations on CLI's? Any info appreciated!

Take care when using your card outside of your normal geographical area.  I would make sure you notofy them in advance or they will block your account.

Other than that, they seem pretty good.  They do not mind multiple payments per month nor, it seems, running up large balances.  Not sure how they'd react if you carry over a balance to the following month, though. 

IAALBNYL
Valued Contributor

Re: New Nationwide Card Arrived Today...Any Tips?

From my experience, and I believe there were others in the Nationwide thread, if the card goes unused and out of the blue you decide to dust it off, the charges, in all likelihood, will be denied. It's something with their fraud department. Let me explain. I received the card in October 2009 and transferred a balance. Paid month to month and never used it except for maybe once or twice for a few dollars. In April of this year, I booked a trip on Priceline and used this card for the cashback, and it was denied. I call customer service and they said it was because the card was rarely used and all of a sudden, I used it for a big ticket purchase. They unlocked and all has been well since.

I carry a balance, I'm ashamed to say, but I pay all my cards pretty aggressively. They've given me one CLI from 10K to 11.5K around the 6 month mark. Cashback bonus is credited to your balance every month should you carry one.

Am I missing anything?

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.