cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Poster - Question

tag
FinanceATL

New Poster - Question

Two questions for the forum from a long-time lurker/first time poster:  A) What is the best way to pay for a pending engagement ring?  B) Why is my credit score so low?  Here is my relevant information:

Note that my fiance-to-be and I have completely merged finances (share everything listed below, but house/car are only in my name).  We have lived together for 7 years and we are both 27 years old.

Purchase price of engagement ring:  $17k.  (Please don't say "spend less" and don't go into debt.  It's what we both desire.  And I believe our earnings and overall financial picture allow for this, but please let me know if you respectfully disagree).

My Credit Score:  655-690.

Annual Household Income:  $210k salary ($145k me which is what I list when applying for credit, $65k her, $25k-$60k total bonus).

CC:  3 total (AMEX $1k CL, VISA $20k CL, CITI $4k CL) with aggregate $25k CL; paid in full almost every month (currently all paid in full); avg age of acct. 2.5 years

Mortgage:  ~$330k (with $160k down)

Car Loan:  ~25k  (with $7k down)

No other debt.

No missed or late payments ever.  "Delinquent Account" for $200 was paid after going to collections from our college housing in 2008 when landlord claimed stove was broken (it wasn't so I ignored - probably a bad move).  Only derogatory mark ever on my credit (could this really bring me down that much?).  Occassionally I will pay just the minimum for one month on the VISA, which allows balance to get up to $14-$18k, and then I pay it off in full the next month.  I now realize this hurts UTIL and I will stop doing this.

I can, but strongly prefer against paying in cash for the ring as available cash (outside of stocks/retirement savings - which are 100% maxed for both of us) is only $25k (furnishing a first-time home is expensive!). 

All thoughts are welcome on how I can improve my credit and overall financial portfolio.  Please let me know if you need any more relevant information, and thank you in advance for your time and comments!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Poster - Question

@FinanceATL wrote:

Two questions for the forum from a long-time lurker/first time poster:  A) What is the best way to pay for a pending engagement ring?  B) Why is my credit score so low?  Here is my relevant information:

Note that my fiance-to-be and I have completely merged finances (share everything listed below, but house/car are only in my name).  We have lived together for 7 years and we are both 27 years old.

Purchase price of engagement ring:  $17k.  (Please don't say "spend less" and don't go into debt.  It's what we both desire.  And I believe our earnings and overall financial picture allow for this, but please let me know if you respectfully disagree).

My Credit Score:  655-690.

Annual Household Income:  $210k salary ($145k me which is what I list when applying for credit, $65k her, $25k-$60k total bonus).

CC:  3 total (AMEX $1k CL, VISA $20k CL, CITI $4k CL) with aggregate $25k CL; paid in full almost every month (currently all paid in full); avg age of acct. 2.5 years

Mortgage:  ~$330k (with $160k down)

Car Loan:  ~25k  (with $7k down)

No other debt.

No missed or late payments ever.  "Delinquent Account" for $200 was paid after going to collections from our college housing in 2008 when landlord claimed stove was broken (it wasn't so I ignored - probably a bad move).  Only derogatory mark ever on my credit (could this really bring me down that much?).  Occassionally I will pay just the minimum for one month on the VISA, which allows balance to get up to $14-$18k, and then I pay it off in full the next month.  I now realize this hurts UTIL and I will stop doing this.

I can, but strongly prefer against paying in cash for the ring as available cash (outside of stocks/retirement savings - which are 100% maxed for both of us) is only $25k (furnishing a first-time home is expensive!). 

All thoughts are welcome on how I can improve my credit and overall financial portfolio.  Please let me know if you need any more relevant information, and thank you in advance for your time and comments!

To answer #1: Do you have any cashback/reward credit cards? If yes, what are they? I would go with the best one. Have you tried for an Amex credit limit increase? How long have you had it? Have you applied for a soft pull credit limit increase with all of your cards? 

The "best" way to pay for it is completely subjective. For me, I'd want to get the most bang for my buck, so I would place it on the card that I use the most that would net me the most money/perk back. If you can spare the HP, then the Arrival of Fidelity Amex would net you 2% cash back on each purchase and would be a good addition to your profile.

on #2: Have you pulled your credit reports to ensure that this is the only negative reporting? I would do that. Also, I would do everything in my power to get this negative off your report, because it's the only thing holding you back from having really high scores, and being able to app for any card you want. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
FinanceATL

Thank you very much for the reply, Kenny.  Below are my responses in ALL CAPS.

To answer #1: Do you have any cashback/reward credit cards? YES.   If yes, what are they? I GET APPROX. 2% TRAVEL REWARDS OUT OF THE US BANK VISA, WHICH I USE FOR ALMOST EVERY PURCHASE.  I HAVE A US BANK CHECKING ACCT WHICH INCREASES THE POINTS.  I would go with the best one. Have you tried for an Amex credit limit increase? AMEX HATES ME!  I TRIED 6 MOS. AFTER OBTAINING THE CARD AND GOT IMMEDIATELY DECLINED.  How long have you had it? ABOUT 1 YEAR NOW.  Have you applied for a soft pull credit limit increase with all of your cards?  BEFORE I CARED AT ALL ABOUT CREDIT, I JUST ASKED VISA TO UP MY CL TO $20K FROM $10K AND THEY DID.

The "best" way to pay for it is completely subjective. For me, I'd want to get the most bang for my buck, so I would place it on the card that I use the most that would net me the most money/perk back. If you can spare the HP, then the Arrival of Fidelity Amex would net you 2% cash back on each purchase and would be a good addition to your profile.  I DONT THINK AMEX WOULD EXTEND ME THAT AMOUNT OF CREDIT, UNFORTUNATELY.  SHOULD I APPLY FOR ANOTHER TYPE OF CARD?

on #2: Have you pulled your credit reports to ensure that this is the only negative reporting?  I HAVE, AND THIS IS THE ONLY NEGATIVE MARK. I would do that. Also, I would do everything in my power to get this negative off your report, because it's the only thing holding you back from having really high scores, and being able to app for any card you want.  I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT A $200 PAYMENT THAT I DISPUTED WOULD RESULT IN MY CREDIT BEING HURT SO MUCH.  AFTER IT WENT TO COLLECTION I JUST PAID IT IN FULL IMMEDIATELY - DISGUSTED WITH THE COMPANY.

IF I WERE TO GET IT REMOVED, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THE CREDIT BACK TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE?  THANKS AGAIN!

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. Yes the 1 negative could be hurting you that much because you have nothing else bad so it will hurt you worse then someone with many baddies.

2. Where is the ring you are looking at (store?) Do they have financing or were you more interested in rewards? it sounds like you want to carry for a bit though rather then PIF?

3. Ask amex for a $3k CL online as it's a sp and it's been over 6 months.

4. have you checked pre-qual for Chase.com, citicards.com to see if you have any offers for new credit?

5. I think you could use some more credit if you are putting $14k+ through your USbank card and that's almost all of your credit if you had more it wouldn't effect you so much.

Message 4 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

OP, is this the card you're talking about?

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/flexperks-travel.html

It would net you 1% cash back for this purchase. I would recommend that you apply with another company to yield a larger amount, plus it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a better card to your profile.

The Fidelity Amex isn't issued by American Express, it's a FIA company -- aka Bank of America.

If US Bank believes in you, you better bet that a ton of other banks do, as well.

I'm no pro about getting negatives off your credit report, but I'd try to contact the company that put the negative on your report and ask them if they can delete it off your report. You've already paid it.

With that said, I don't think that this baddy will or should prevent you from getting a new card. (It would be easy to explain this if you need to call them for approval.)

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards This is the card that I was speaking of. It's a flat 2% cashback card. You don't have to have an investment account with them only the cash management account, which is free to open and no HP to obtain. (The card, of course, is a HP.) With them reviewing your profile, they can see that you put a lot of money through your Visa card and have the income to easily pay it.

If you were to get it removed -- credit has no memory with regards to these things. Once it's gone, the score is immediately impacted.
Message 5 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Do you fly often, OP? If so, you might want to consider a card that will net you rewards/miles, as well. The options are wide open, it's just up to you what is valuable to you. (Some cards have large sign up bonuses with large number of miles, cash back, etc. in which you could easily complete the initial spend to get the bonus.)
Message 6 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Seeing as your doing so much business through US Bank I would go for the Cash+ card through them. Your allowed more than one Cash+ card. You should have a very good chance of getting a good CL with your income.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

For rewards, it depends on what you need. If you are okay with travel rewards, check out Amex and chase products. Before you apply for anything though, get a copy of your credit report. You can get it for free via annualcreditreport.com. Check out what's affecting your scores and try to work on getting them removed. That will help you drastically. Most of the cards with better rewards have higher underwriting standards.

For the ring, I think you are okay. People I know spend on average 3 months salary for their engagement ring. As long as it's not causing a strain on your finances, go for it. Do shop around and make sure you aren't getting "scammed" with a low quality diamond at a premium price though. If you go with a branded ring, such as Tiffany's, then there's a premium you will have to pay just for the name. Whether that's worthwhile is subjective.

Some stores will give you a discount if you pay using cash or cash equivalents. If so, consider using cash especially if the discount is significant. If prices are the same regardless of payment method, then use a credit card.

What were the reasons for denial of CLI for Amex?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 9
FinanceATL

Reasons of Denial from AMEX:

Length of Credit History

Derogatory Account

Revolving Balances too High (when I asked I had a high balance after buying furniture, didn't PIF until the next month)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.