cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Poster- Recent App Spree- When to stop?

tag
JCubed

New Poster- Recent App Spree- When to stop?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been on a journey with my credit for quite some time now and a recent need made me interested in a 0% interest credit card.

So I figured I would try to get a card through my employer (I work for US Bank, if anyone has any questions) and ended up with the Flexperks Select Rewards Visa. After spending a few hours on the forum I got the itch to keep applying so here's what I ended up with:

Chase Sapphire Preffered- $5,000

Discover it- $3,500

Amex BCP- $1,000 (after reading more and looking into the annual fee I'm thinking that maybe I should have went for the BCE, any feedback? Should I change it?)

US Bank Flexperks Select- $6,000

Here's what I've had previously:

Best Buy Store card- $3,500

Best Buy Mastercard Platinum- $2,550

Credit Union Platinum (Elan)- $1,000 (Can't get a CLI for the life of me, I don't want to close it as I've had it for 5 years making it my oldeas account)

Roger's Jewelers Card- $7,500

American Eagle Card- $500 (haven't used in quite some time)

I wasn't expecting to get this many approvals this fast and I'm questioning if I should attempt a few more cards. 

Pretty much my plan is to go for the US Bank Cash+ (I plan to talk to an underwriter I know to see if we can get this select changed into the plus) although the upcoming changes to the card I'm slightly unsure if it would be a valuable card.

Otherwise I'm thinking of chosing a Citibank,Barclays, Penfed, or World/World Elite Mastercard, but not all of them.

As far as my current credit is concerned the only score I have is EQ which is 705 and my Util before apping for all these cards was right under 30% (a few large pay offs coming soon).

I'm new to pursuing my credit score this aggressively as well as card rewards so I'm not sure where to go from here after I finish pursuing these cards I will definitely be in the garden for a long time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I researched as much as I could before asking this but I feel I'm at a point where I need specific help!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: New Poster- Recent App Spree- When to stop?

Sounds like it might be time to hit the garden after your little spree. Maybe one more card if there is one you really want.

As for the bcp, the first years AF is waived, isnt it? You can always pc at the end of the year when the AF is up. Bcp is worth it if you spend enough though.

Welcome to the forums by the way! Great to have a new poster! 

Message 2 of 18
JCubed

I can't see anywhere that the annual fee is waived for the first year. Unfortunately it's the weekend so I was only able to speak to an automated system to ask. If that were the case I could definitely use it for a year to max out benefits, I don' t forsee having a problem spending enough to pay for itself, does Amex allow the use of my rewards to pay the fee or does that just get added to the balance?

Message 3 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I may be mistaken, it was just an assumption.

The fee is usually tacked on to your first statement. Which means if you get a statement credit you could theoretically pay for the AF, but if there is a sign up bonus, it will most likely pay for the AF itself.

(just looked, 150 with 1k spend, basically 2 years AF)
Message 4 of 18
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, the AF is not waived the first year for the BCP, but the sign-up bonus effectively cancels it out with some money to spare. The AF will show up at the end of your first statement cycle and, once you receive the bonus, you can apply it as a statement credit.

EDIT: Cross-posted with jsu.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 5 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

CONGRATS on your recent approvals!!

I think Its time to hit the garden for a least 6 months, get some age on those new seedlings!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Glad you decided to post JCubed! I'm sure you will inundated with questions regarding USBank! Your new cc's and CL's are really nice. If you NEED another cc, then go for it. Question is, what are you missing that a new cc could provide?
Message 7 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

grats!

citibank and barclays are good options u can consider.

the arrival has a 40k miles for $1000 spend offer right now which is pretty sweet.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 18
JCubed

09Lexie,

What I don't already have is a great question.

The CSP will be good travel, the AMEX for groceries, I will be using the Flexperks for the 0% intro rate, I guess the only really thing I can think of that I feel I could do better is rewards for gas purchases. I know the BCP will give 3% but what is the best for gas? Any that would be classified as MC World or World Elite? Can you even apply for a World Elite right off the get go or do you need to have the World then get invited and are there any without AF? If I recall Penfed offers a visa with 5% on gas, is this the best? 

Message 9 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

@JCubed wrote:

09Lexie,

What I don't already have is a great question.

The CSP will be good travel, the AMEX for groceries, I will be using the Flexperks for the 0% intro rate, I guess the only really thing I can think of that I feel I could do better is rewards for gas purchases. I know the BCP will give 3% but what is the best for gas? Any that would be classified as MC World or World Elite? Can you even apply for a World Elite right off the get go or do you need to have the World then get invited and are there any without AF? If I recall Penfed offers a visa with 5% on gas, is this the best? 

the barclays arrival is a 2% everything card.

it is a world MC.

There are some world elite MC cards that you can apply for right away, such as Citi Prestige, and the highest end Citi AAdvantage card. The AF however are often very high and you need to do quite a bit of traveling to justify the costs.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.