Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Start

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: New Start

You don't have to keep accounts that you don't see a use for despite all the other recommendations.  However, you may want to consider that for scoring purposes at least 2-3 cards are generally suggested.  Whether or not that matters to you is your call to make.  The suggestion and high scores are not mutually inclusive but many do find it easier to attain better scores with at least that number of cards.

@Harvey26 wrote:

But I am going to garden until Decemeber when I refinance my car

Don't just rely on time and make sure you understand how credit is assessed.  Before closing out cards make sure you consider the information in the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky along with your specific considerations.

@Harvey26 wrote:

Already tried for both about two months ago and Amex says my auto loan is too high and BOA says too many inquires so I guess they are forcing me to garden.

Keep in mind that such reasons always imply "for your credit profile".  If you're getting cited for inquiries they're not the real issue and you have bigger issues with your credit profile that need to be identified and addressed.  Balance to loan ratio on an installment would also be less of an issue if your credit profile was in better shape.

@Harvey26 wrote:

I really hate waiting and am impatient but I think I need to garden and grow my discover limit as well started at 1k and its only and 1.5k now.so hopefully it will grow, started running more through it and paying large amounts so hopefully something will change.

Limits and CLI's are based on what your credit profile and income qualify for.  You'll also want to identify and address your issues if you want CLI's.  Again, don't just rely on the passage of time.  The only thing time itself helps is aging inquiries and accounts.  Keep in mind that there are many other factors than just inquiries and account age.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

See if you have anything dragging down the bigger factors.  If so, work on those.

As for impatience, building/rebuilding is a long, slow process so get yourself in the right mindset for it.

Message 11 of 16
creditguy
Valued Contributor

You say you closed your Wells Fargo and Cap One cards. But you posted on March 2nd about being approved for your first Cap One card. Did you cancel a card you were just approved for? Additionally you say your down to only a Discover card, but on Feb 29 you said you were approved for a NFCU go rewards card. Did you cancel that as well? a little consistency and transparency can go a long way when asking for advice. If you want an Amex, you've got to be able to demonstrate responsibility and patience.

Opening and closing accounts and applying for cards all on what appear to be whims will do nothing positive for your overall long term goals, not to mention what happens to your CR in the short term. Set a goal and stick to it, if you want something bad enough you'll stick to a plan until you reach your goal. Good Luck.
Message 12 of 16
icyhot
Valued Contributor

If OP did just close the Cap One card that they got on the 2nd I can understand. I've been approved for cards that I thought would be useful and it didn't take long to realize they weren't. It happens. But they did post about getting approved for NFCU so that would mean they have NFCU, Discover and Wells. Maybe they used NFCU to BT the Discover and that's how it's down to 0? At any rate I would grow and use the Discover, SD the Wells, pay down the NFCU and then app for the cards you want when you feel time is best.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close what you don't need. Replacements or not.  

I closed a low-limit walmart card with no replacement recently.  Will be doing the same with Care Credit and Amazon, after that no more synchrony accounts, and no more store cards.  Replacements aren't necessary to close a card unless you consider yourself a card hoarder, I don't. 

Message 14 of 16
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I closed a low-limit walmart card with no replacement recently.  Will be doing the same with Care Credit and Amazon, after that no more synchrony accounts, and no more store cards.  Replacements aren't necessary to close a card unless you consider yourself a card hoarder, I don't. 

And I totally agree. However, OP made it appear that he ONLY had 2 cards left. One with a significant balance. I merely suggested he waited to close Wells when he got another card. He would do better with more than ONE card. I'm no hoarder either!  And have closed many cards! Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

sure. except the fact that OP couldn't replace them. it's better to get SOMETHING for your purchases than NOTHING. doesn't take a "card hoarder" to understand that. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.