cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Target Card EMV Cards will be Here in 2015!!!

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: New Target Card EMV Cards will be Here in 2015!!!

The cards depicted are not EMV cards, or standards-compliant smart cards at all. Look at the contact pad design - C5 isn't connected to the centre, there's no ground (C5) space between C1/C5 (doesn't matter) and C3/C7 (matters a lot). And C2/C6 are split in half into two smaller contacts. The card design would be prone to shorting out, and not making contact correctly...

Of course, I'm joking - OBVIOUSLY that's not how the real card is going to look, just pointing out Target hired a graphic designer who doesn't actually know what a smart card even needs to look like to work.

Chase has done the same, they have depictions of cards where the chip is grossly miniaturised.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 11 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@nyancat wrote:

The cards depicted are not EMV cards, or standards-compliant smart cards at all. Look at the contact pad design - C5 isn't connected to the centre, there's no ground (C5) space between C1/C5 (doesn't matter) and C3/C7 (matters a lot). And C2/C6 are split in half into two smaller contacts. The card design would be prone to shorting out, and not making contact correctly...

Of course, I'm joking - OBVIOUSLY that's not how the real card is going to look, just pointing out Target hired a graphic designer who doesn't actually know what a smart card even needs to look like to work.

Chase has done the same, they have depictions of cards where the chip is grossly miniaturised.

Someone has a chip(-and-pin) on their shoulders!   LOL...j/k

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

Message 13 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

Those are proto-type cards. It might be different when they come out.

Ron.

Message 14 of 23
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

I have an EMV chip + pin ATM card that looks almost exactly like the depiction.  The contact on my BoA visa also looks exactly the same... same size,, similar contacts, everything.The chip is a slightly larger size on my other EMV cards and on the chip that is embedded in my work ID, but its in the right location to function.

ETA:  looking again, i see what you mean... that center section of the chip is not right.  I am surprised you are making a big deal about this though...  the article the Ron linked says that it is a chip+pin mastercard that Target has dedicated to for 2015.  This is great news.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 15 of 23
nyancat
Established Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

LOL, one person understood I was 99% joking around. Only one. In all seriousness, though, the depictions of cards with incorrect chips is funny to me. Chase is the worst... the chip is totally out of proportion on their stock images.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 16 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@nyancat wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

LOL, one person understood I was 99% joking around. Only one. In all seriousness, though, the depictions of cards with incorrect chips is funny to me. Chase is the worst... the chip is totally out of proportion on their stock images.

I'm just special.   LOL.

And, yes, artist renderings frequently look disproportionate, in the same vein that food in commercials looks better than the food you actually get at a restaurant.  I'm not sure why they think a small, misplaced chip is more aestetically pleasing, however. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 23
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

At least there are some merchants eager to adopt EMV.

If only Target allows CLI request, that would be perfect.

Message 18 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

At least there are some merchants eager to adopt EMV.

If only Target allows CLI request, that would be perfect.

Yes, but as others have said, it's not EMV that is important, it's the fact they are pushing chip&pin.

Re the design:  I just found the whole concept of "prototype" amusing.  The card is a certain size and the chip has to be in a predetermined place.   There is little to prototype, chip&pin is well established.   So it's basically, a picture of the design

Message 19 of 23
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Unless US works out how to implement EMV on debit card, we will not see chip and PIN becoming de facto standard.

I definitely believe chip and PIN is the way to go, and Target deserves a praise on this.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.