Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Forum and cards Questions....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New To Forum and cards Questions....

Hi guys i need some advice on what to cards to get or get approved for. Im 22 now make about 30k a year, i had a cell phone bill in my name and thats about all the credit in my name. I just created a fico account and wanted to try the 10day free trial to get my score but they say i dont have any line yet so i cant give u guys a score. Well i just tryed to apply for capital 1 before  i made this account was really going for a secured card and didn't think they would approve me for a unsecured card which they did for $300 the platinum card. Can u guys help me and tell what other cards u think i would be aproved for since im new and trying to build up. Thanks i just found u guys. Any advice would be great and remember i was just approved for an unsecure card instantly so something must be right.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: New To Forum and cards Questions....

That's fantastic! Congrats on your first card Smiley Happy I started building my credit as soon as a I turned 18 (didn't want to go the way my mom did...she's doing better, but boy oh boy. Not only did she bring herself down, but my father and grandfather with her!) I would actually use that shiny new Capital One card for 6 months THEN apply for a new unsecured card! Especially if you are no longer a student anymore (sometimes makes it easier to get cards), credit card companies want to see positive use and utilization. Doing too many apps too soon may or may not garner you cards, but if they did, they will likely be low limits like that $300 one. It's better to use that card wisely then apply down the road once creditors see you have positive history so that you can get higher limits AND better cards (like a rewards card)! If you do get the itch too soon, like around 2 or 3 months, store and gas cards w/o the visa/mastercard/amex/discover logo are relatively easy to get!

Best of luck!

Message 2 of 8
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys i need some advice on what to cards to get or get approved for. Im 22 now make about 30k a year, i had a cell phone bill in my name and thats about all the credit in my name. I just created a fico account and wanted to try the 10day free trial to get my score but they say i dont have any line yet so i cant give u guys a score. Well i just tryed to apply for capital 1 before  i made this account was really going for a secured card and didn't think they would approve me for a unsecured card which they did for $300 the platinum card. Can u guys help me and tell what other cards u think i would be aproved for since im new and trying to build up. Thanks i just found u guys. Any advice would be great and remember i was just approved for an unsecure card instantly so something must be right.

Congrats on Cap1 unsecured. Stay away from FirstPremier and Curelean. CreditOne is a better choice between those two, however I would stay away from it also.

Use the card that you have and pay in full every month before statement cut. In 6 months, I would go for Wal-Mart Credit Card for a free TU08 Fico score every month and the card will grow with you.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Come on there has to be some more cards i would be approved for? I have enough money to cover any of these cards, im trying to build and have more lines. Any suggestions? The more lines the better for me.

Message 4 of 8
distantarray
Established Contributor

open a account with DCU and get a secured credit card, not only do the cards graduate, they graduate with atleast a bachelors =)   (you get your money back after a year) and you also get a Free Fico 04 score (one you realy want) from Equifax, and then try 6months later to get a card with walmart for your Free Fico from Transunion 08 version. (not the one you want but it's still not bad cause it's free, most lenders pull 04 scoring) then after about a year start apping for Amex.If you have a family member or a good friend who will let you be added on their accounts as an authorized user (youcan use it but not liable for the bill) this makes it so you get a copy and paste of their credit history of that card. So you'll instantly have a high credit score which you can use to slide in with good card companies like Amex and Chase muchh sooner.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@distantarray wrote:

open a account with DCU and get a secured credit card, not only do the cards graduate, they graduate with atleast a bachelors =)   (you get your money back after a year) and you also get a Free Fico 04 score (one you realy want) from Equifax, and then try 6months later to get a card with walmart for your Free Fico from Transunion 08 version. (not the one you want but it's still not bad cause it's free, most lenders pull 04 scoring) then after about a year start apping for Amex.If you have a family member or a good friend who will let you be added on their accounts as an authorized user (youcan use it but not liable for the bill) this makes it so you get a copy and paste of their credit history of that card. So you'll instantly have a high credit score which you can use to slide in with good card companies like Amex and Chase muchh sooner.

What is DCU? never heard of it.

Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Dcu is digital credit union. Wise choice. I agree that you should look at them for a secured card which will graduate. I suggest putting as much deposit as you can because higher credit limits even on secured accounts will lead to higher limits on unsecured accounts later on. Go for one more card then STOP. No need to rack up a lot of baby step accounts. Just two is enough. Then in 1 year go for prime unsecured cards like chase freedom; American express green or gold or discover more.

Best of luck!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If you have military affiliations join navy federal or usaa. They tend to be very generous towards their members
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.