Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New USAA Platinum card

tag
bcdudley
Regular Contributor

New USAA Platinum card

I have been waiting until after I closed on my house to pull the trigger on a new USAA card. I have had the classic card with a $1000 limit for the last year. Today, they approved me instantly for a platinum card with a $2k limit.The classic I had could never go above $1000 but the platinum can go to whatever

While I was on the phone, they also told me I qualify to refinance my 9 month old car with them now with a 1.9% rate,so I am going to do that very soon. Smiley Happy

I love having USAA as my bank. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ740, EX695
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: New USAA Platinum card

Congrats on the new card, USAA has been awesome for me. I applied in Oct 09, and was approved for the Platinum with a $3k limit. If your limit is <5k they give you the Platinum, if it's >5k they give you the World card. After 6 months of using nearly that much every month and PIF, I got the button on the website to upgrade to the World, so I did and they upped my limit to $11k. Just recently I requested another CLI they bumped it to $14k. The customer service is awesome too, I used the card at a shady gas station that ran the transaction as a cash advance somehow (I reported them to MasterCard) and it started accumulating interest. I called USAA and they removed the whole transaction. They are obviously also awesome for military too, lowered my APR to 4% for a year when I deploy (not that I need it, I PIF), and also get rid of foreign transaction fees as part of the deal.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: New USAA Platinum card

@LTomBerry wrote:

Congrats on the new card, USAA has been awesome for me. I applied in Oct 09, and was approved for the Platinum with a $3k limit. If your limit is <5k they give you the Platinum, if it's >5k they give you the World card. After 6 months of using nearly that much every month and PIF, I got the button on the website to upgrade to the World, so I did and they upped my limit to $11k. Just recently I requested another CLI they bumped it to $14k. The customer service is awesome too, I used the card at a shady gas station that ran the transaction as a cash advance somehow (I reported them to MasterCard) and it started accumulating interest. I called USAA and they removed the whole transaction. They are obviously also awesome for military too, lowered my APR to 4% for a year when I deploy (not that I need it, I PIF), and also get rid of foreign transaction fees as part of the deal.

Just one note - I think the upgrade capabillity is limited to full members. Limited members can only get the Platinum mastercard no matter what the limit (I'm at 12k).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.