cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New USAA cards you might be interested!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New USAA cards you might be interested!

@Lyythine wrote:

@thebusymind wrote:

Theyre whole credit card department is really weird. I have two of their cards and I've had them for about 2 years. Last month I got a CLI on both of them, but they couldn't lower the APR on them because "I'd need a new credit card" to do that lol. I think their computer system is really limiting, because theyre very flexible for everything else. 

From your lips to God's ears... I absolutely LOVE their insurance and they have bent over backwards to help me when I had insurance claims.  That being said, its a crap shoot when dealing with their credit department.  I have tried to understand their decisions, I have tried to have them explain it to me. I have tried using a crystal ball. Nothing has worked, so I let them be them and I'm just along for the ride.  

That being said, the way they have dealt with suspicious spending with me is fantastic!  I quite often make last minute trips all over the world and I never call them to let them know and I have never been declined.  A few months ago, I took a last minute trip to Montenegro and I rented a car using my USAA Amex and was called within 30 seconds (no joke) to make sure it was me.  So much better than BofA, who declines transactions in VA because, and I quote "you just purchased something D.C. and Maryland, how are you getting to these different states so quickly?"  I then proceeded to give a small geography lesson and let them know that from where I was standing I could throw a stone and hit DC or Maryland... Ugh.

That's hilarious about BoA denying a charge in VA.  That CSR is an idiot. You should really mess with them and speed to the PA line.

Message 31 of 73
johnpalley
Established Contributor

guys the usaa cash rewards amex says it offers an apr as low as 9.90%. before this i couldnt find an amex that offers lower than 12.99% (blue cash everyday). if im lookin for an amex with the lowest apr do you guys think the usaa is my best bet?
Message 32 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are 0% Interest AMEX cards.

"There is no interest because you pay your balance in full each statements."
Message 33 of 73
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
There are 0% Interest AMEX cards.

"There is no interest because you pay your balance in full each statements."

Smarty pants Smiley Tongue  I think the above poster meant as in revolving a balance (i.e. 6 mos, 12 mos) with a low or 0% introductory APR.

Message 34 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Wink
Message 35 of 73
johnpalley
Established Contributor

lol funny dudes. im talkin about a revolving account. i really need an answer to my question guys if anyone knows?

Message 36 of 73
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@johnpalley wrote:

lol funny dudes. im talkin about a revolving account. i really need an answer to my question guys if anyone knows?

Well, let's see... are you a full member of USAA?  If so, does this card display as preapproved under the My Offers tab?  If it doesn't display as a preapproved offer, you can still apply if you're a full member.  Otherwise, there are plenty of 0% introductory APR offers out there, namely with Citi, Chase, Discover, BofA, and so on.  Optionally, CU's also offer alternatives if you prefer not to go through the Big Banks.

Message 37 of 73
score_building
Senior Contributor

@johnpalley wrote:

Well yeah, it's quite likely currently among the lowest available (if not the lowest) regular purchase APR Amex network cards available, excepting grandfathered rates (e.g. my Amex Clear currently 10.24) and others may hold even lower rate Amices established in credit building days gone by

The other bene with USAA is that it can be linked as a no fee OD source to checking at the same rate, not to mention are likely better off with USAA than Amex Centurion Bank if planning to revolve for any significant period of time.   

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 38 of 73
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

@thebusymind wrote:

Theyre whole credit card department is really weird. I have two of their cards and I've had them for about 2 years. Last month I got a CLI on both of them, but they couldn't lower the APR on them because "I'd need a new credit card" to do that lol. I think their computer system is really limiting, because theyre very flexible for everything else. 

From your lips to God's ears... I absolutely LOVE their insurance and they have bent over backwards to help me when I had insurance claims.  That being said, its a crap shoot when dealing with their credit department.  I have tried to understand their decisions, I have tried to have them explain it to me. I have tried using a crystal ball. Nothing has worked, so I let them be them and I'm just along for the ride.  

That being said, the way they have dealt with suspicious spending with me is fantastic!  I quite often make last minute trips all over the world and I never call them to let them know and I have never been declined.  A few months ago, I took a last minute trip to Montenegro and I rented a car using my USAA Amex and was called within 30 seconds (no joke) to make sure it was me.  So much better than BofA, who declines transactions in VA because, and I quote "you just purchased something D.C. and Maryland, how are you getting to these different states so quickly?"  I then proceeded to give a small geography lesson and let them know that from where I was standing I could throw a stone and hit DC or Maryland... Ugh.

Yes USAA's fraud prevention is good...perhaps too good.  I traveled home from Philly to Pittsburgh for a day and tried to use my chip-and-PIN card at Sam's Club.  The transaction was declined.  I called CS, who had to ask around but determined my card had been flagged for a purchase outside my geographic area, even though it was the same state.  I was basically told I should set vacation notifications, even though I am remaining in the same state.

Message 39 of 73
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@johnpalley wrote:
guys the usaa cash rewards amex says it offers an apr as low as 9.90%. before this i couldnt find an amex that offers lower than 12.99% (blue cash everyday). if im lookin for an amex with the lowest apr do you guys think the usaa is my best bet?

Penfed Defender Amex  is currently 8.99%, so slightly better

Message 40 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.