Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Wells Fargo "Pre-Selected" Offer - Propel

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

New Wells Fargo "Pre-Selected" Offer - Propel

A few months ago some of us noticed when we were logged in to our Wells Fargo accounts that there was an icon present regarding a credit card offer; when we clicked on this icon/link instead of taking us to the generic product information page as before, it presented us with an offer at a set APR. 

Some people also got a 'splash-screen' while logging in as well.

I was always offered their standard 'Rewards' Visa, with a high APR and a 15 month 0% balance transfer period.  I figured this was because (at the time) I still had one remaining 'baddie' on my credit bureau reports.

I've checked a few times out of curiosity to see if the offer would improve now that I have a 'clean' profile, but so far it's always been the same. 

However, today I got a 'spash' screen upon logging in... the offer is similar, but the card is different.  I'm still trying to figure out if the new offer is an improvement over the old one or not (in any case, I'm not interested in either... I'm only sharing here so folks will know they are changing things up.)

New offer:

newwellsprequal.jpg

Here's the previous offer for the Visa... note that the APR is the same.  Smiley Frustrated

wellsoffer.jpg

What are your experiences with Wells Fargo pre-qual offers?  

Personally they aren't for me, but it's interesting to see what they'll offer me as a pre-qual, and in my case I think it's notable that the APR hasn't changed although my credit profile has.  

I will say that their mobile phone coverage is a nice touch for someone who would otherwise have the card anyway (however I wouldn't get the card just for that) and if you have a checking account with Wells one of their cards can be linked for overdraft protection (it's expensive, but cheaper than a returned transaction).  Smiley Wink

I also think it's notable that my offer is for an established product rather than the new 1.5% Cash Wise Visa they have recently started offering.  I would think they would want to help launch the new product, but apparently either my profile isn't right for it, or they are more interested in pushing the Propel Amex.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Wells Fargo "Pre-Selected" Offer - Propel

Interesting, UncleB. Thanks for posting...

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand many people on here pay their balance off in full every month, so the APR isn't a big factor; however, I believe consumers need to start putting more pressure on the big banks by increasing the competition from non-profit credit unions. I mean a 22.24% APR with a decent credit report? That's highway robbery right there, and that for a card that comes with a five-year expiration date for points and 3x and 2x points on little spending, and where a card that's not accepted at many places compared to Visa/MC--and without the quality customer service AMEX would have with their direct cards. If you ever had an emergency, you'd have to pay a much higher monthly bill than someone who has a better lender. 

I like Wells Fargo as a bank, but their credit card offers are very weak for what I consider "good cards." Perhaps WF should look into cards with annual fees, higher rewards, and lower APR's. I mean their best card is a 1.5% back, ugly yellow looking thing lol. 

Message 3 of 16
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I have the offer below: 

Wells Fargo Rewards Visa® Credit Card

5X rewards points on gas, grocery and drugstore net purchases for the first 6 months your card is opened.

0.00% introductory APR for 15 months.
After that your APR will be 22.24%.
Message 4 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Full disclosure:  I've never had a credit card with Wells, but years ago the foreclosure I had was with them (10+ years ago) so I'm not sure if that's having an impact or not.  Honestly it's so far out of my thoughts now I didn't even think of it until now (very dark times).

If other people with a reasonably-strong profile get better APRs on their offers, it could be that Wells is singling me out.  It's also notable that on the Propel card the APR does go up to 25.24%, so at least I'm not at the highest rate... LOL  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JSS3 wrote:

I have the offer below: 

Wells Fargo Rewards Visa® Credit Card

5X rewards points on gas, grocery and drugstore net purchases for the first 6 months your card is opened.

0.00% introductory APR for 15 months.
After that your APR will be 22.24%.

+1

This is the same offer I'm used to getting.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

25.24%.... That's ridiculous. 

I guess they're not as much of a ripoff as those First Premier credit cards though... Annual fee, no rewards, 36% interest rate, initiation fee, foreign transaction fee. 

Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand many people on here pay their balance off in full every month, so the APR isn't a big factor; however, I believe consumers need to start putting more pressure on the big banks by increasing the competition from non-profit credit unions. I mean a 22.24% APR with a decent credit report? That's highway robbery right there, and that for a card that comes with a five-year expiration date for points and 3x and 2x points on little spending, and where a card that's not accepted at many places compared to Visa/MC--and without the quality customer service AMEX would have with their direct cards. If you ever had an emergency, you'd have to pay a much higher monthly bill than someone who has a better lender. 

I like Wells Fargo as a bank, but their credit card offers are very weak for what I consider "good cards." Perhaps WF should look into cards with annual fees, higher rewards, and lower APR's. I mean their best card is a 1.5% back, ugly yellow looking thing lol. 

APR isn't a 'huge' factor with me, but it still matters since occasionally I need to let something carry over until the next billing period, so I might pay some interest (granted, the difference likely isn't that great on the amounts I'm dealing with, but I find a lower rate to be 'comforting').  Smiley Wink

I also agree that Wells has treated me very well when it comes to brick-and-mortar banking... I've had my account since it was Wachovia, and I've always been quite pleased. 

I use USAA as my primary because they have a few features that Wells doesn't offer (and at USAA nearly everything is free), but otherwise I'm still quite happy with having my secondary checking at Wells.

Message 8 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

25.24%.... That's ridiculous. 

I guess they're not as much of a ripoff as those First Premier credit cards though... Annual fee, no rewards, 36% interest rate, initiation fee, foreign transaction fee. 

I agree, however just three years ago I actually applied for a Wells Visa, and was turned down due to credit.  At that time, I would have been 'tickled pink' to have been approved even at their highest rate.

Around a year after that denial, I got an 'offer' from USAA and I gave it a whirl, and the rest is history.  The irony isn't lost to me that Wells once turned me down, and now I'm turning them down... LOL.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's always nice to get a prequal, but the card doesn't seem very impressive. 3x on gas is already matched/beaten by your other cards, and 2x is irrelevant since your Blispay is 2x everything. I know you aren't going for the card anyway, but Wells Fargo needs to step up their offerings.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.