Did you mean: 

New application?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New application?

@bobkmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

You can try for a Sallie Mae rewards MasterCard. 

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

I don't have any student loans.

It is a statement credit, I believe. But even if it's not -- I know that you don't have to have student loans for this card to be beneficial! Smiley Happy It's a great one and you should be approved for it.

Message 11 of 21
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

It is a statement credit, I believe. But even if it's not -- I know that you don't have to have student loans for this card to be beneficial! Smiley Happy It's a great one and you should be approved for it.

Appreciate the input--always good from you folks. In a few words can you tell me why it is a great card? As opposed to the Chase Freedom which has also been recommended to me.

Thanks!!!

Current scores: Experian-693 Equifax-720 TransUnion-727
Gardening since 4/7/2014 - Mouse over card for limit.
Message 12 of 21
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

@bobkmn wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Appreciate the input--always good from you folks. In a few words can you tell me why it is a great card? As opposed to the Chase Freedom which has also been recommended to me.

Thanks!!!

Sallie Mae is 5% on gas all year(Capped at $250 each month). Also on groceries(seperate $250/mo cap)

Chase only 5% for 1-2 quarters in the year plus you get other rotating categories, some like home improvement you might never use, others like amazon or restaurants are real useful. You have discover so you know how it works.

Basically you'll use your salllie mae card all year around unless you don't drive or buy grocieries regularly. With Freedom you'll only use it in the appropriate quarters. 

edit:fixed the caps, my bad

Message 13 of 21
Involver
Valued Contributor

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Thanks!!!

Sallie Mae is 5% on gas all year(Capped at $750 each month). Also on groceries(seperate $750/mo cap)

Chase only 5% for 1-2 quarters in the year plus you get other rotating categories, some like home improvement you might never use, others like amazon or restaurants are real useful. You have discover so you know how it works.

Basically you'll use your salllie mae card all year around unless you don't drive or buy grocieries regularly. With Freedom you'll only use it in the appropriate quarters. 

Sallie Mae is 5% on groceries and gas ($250 / month cap) and 5% on bookstores ($750 / month cap) year round.  

Amazon qualifies as a bookstore which makes it a really great card.

Message 14 of 21
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Involver wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Thanks!!!

Sallie Mae is 5% on gas all year(Capped at $750 each month). Also on groceries(seperate $750/mo cap)

Sallie Mae is 5% on groceries and gas ($250 / month cap) and 5% on bookstores ($750 / month cap) year round.  

this is a really good suggestion. Rewards post immediately and a free FICO TU score on top of the rewards. Can't beat that. Especially if its a World Mastercard and even more perks come with the card. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 15 of 21
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

@Involver wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

@bobkmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Thanks!!!

this is a really good suggestion. Rewards post immediately and a free FICO TU score on top of the rewards. Can't beat that. Especially if its a World Mastercard and even more perks come with the card. 

Ok, lots of info to digest....I am going to make a decision soon but I would like some final input from you folks. From what I can find I have 2 invitations to apply (1) Citi ThankYou Preferred Card and (2) Citi Diamond Preferred Card. If I choose from those, which one would be the

better one to get? No specific needs for the card except to buy gas and to achieve lower balances on my other cards. That being said, there 

are 3 other cards that I am considering or have been recommended to me by members of this forum.  I need not go into detail about the cards, but I will just give the types:  (1) Chase Slate, (2) Chase Freedom and (3) Sally Mae Rewards Mastercard. Thoughts on those 5 cards...and of course, any other ones that you folks think I should consider.

As always, thanks for your input. These forums have made a significant difference in my life already.

Message 16 of 21
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Sallie Mae MasterCard:

Groceries 5% capped at $250/month

Gas Stations 5% capped at $250/month (separate from the grocery cap)

Book Stores 5% capped at $750/month. Bokstores includes Amazon.com purchases, so the larger cap is useful if you use amazon.com a lot.

The Barclays web site is very clear and straightforward to use. And yes, you just redeem for Statement credits when you have $25 worth, which is fairly easy to get with al those 5% cash back categories.

They are pretty good about increasing credit limits automatically if you start with a low limit, assuming you use the card. The free FICO score is nice bonus. The small Grocery cap might seem like a problem, but you gain so much headway at 5% that once it drops to 1% for exceeding the monthly cap, you are still way ahead. For example, you always earn more cash back that an American Express Blue Cash Everyday:

Sallie-BCP.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 21
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

I forgot one last question. Since I have invitations from the 2 Citi cards should I favor one of those. Guess what I am getting to is do you have a better success rate, both approval and CL, with invitations or since the invitations are based on a reflection of your score, would the other cards I mentioned be about the same success rate?  Clear?  LOL

Message 18 of 21
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

Oops, I just got an invitation from Chase Freedom today.  :-)

Message 19 of 21
john398
Senior Contributor

@bobkmn wrote:

Oops, I just got an invitation from Chase Freedom today.  :-)

Congratulations good luck maybe you should apply

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.