Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New cards question

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

New cards question

A friend of mine just got approved for the Citi Dual Cash card with a lot of inquiries; he said it was pretty easy to get a "new" credit card.  Anybody know if underwriting is different for a newly launched  credit card.  I find it hard to believe...........but then it makes sense when a lender rolls out a new card.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: New cards question

Sounds good!  Let us know how it goes!

Message 2 of 6
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

depends on the profile, thick profiles shouldnt have too much of a problem vs a thin profile.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

A friend of mine just got approved for the Citi Dual Cash card with a lot of inquiries; he said it was pretty easy to get a "new" credit card.  Anybody know if underwriting is different for a newly launched  credit card.  I find it hard to believe...........but then it makes sense when a lender rolls out a new card.

It all depends how his full credit picture looks.  A lot of inquiries may not make a difference if his AAoA is great and has a high credit score.

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Skye12329 wrote:
depends on the profile, thick profiles shouldnt have too much of a problem vs a thin profile.

+1

Everyone's profile supports different decisions and YEMV.

Message 5 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Looks like the OP's question isn't being answered, which is: is there a reduction in underwriting standards when a card is new  (the stuff about lots of inqs was just lead in!)

The answer is we don't really know:  you can obviously make a case that they want a new launch to be successful so they might do it, and there's been feeling here that the Amex Everyday was a little easier to get than expected, but that's just anecdoctal and we don't have nearly enough data.   And there was a big thread here about the Double Cash giving lower CL and higher APR than you might expect, which roughly corresponds to being harder to get than expected.

So while it could make sense, certainly not proved!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.