Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New cautious search for card

tag
titanium_bbx
Contributor

New cautious search for card

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this. There are several factors here, I could use some seasoned opinions.

Transunition:  710 

Equifax 661 (from MyFico)

Experian 680

I need a higher balance CC for a move and general times I could actually use them, ideally 7-8 k (would be ok with 2k).  I normally only do debit from a BoA and an Orchard Bank set aside only to pay back in full for credit build.

My scores were all about 500 in 2005.

Some bad stuff on report, but nothing open outstanding, 3-4 closed charge off etc. Student loan paid as agreed 25k.

I just was able to get a Chase Visa Amazon, instant, $400 limit which is perfect for daily expenses and the points, with Amazon Prime I do alot in Amazon for personal shopping. I was a little offended at a measly 400 though, but it;ll suffice.

Soo... been looking.

Info/ Facts

- Find one that Hits Transunion only so I get a better card level and limit? **** i"ve seen the boards which have self reported listings)

Type of Rewards?

- Good rewards for me:

I dont fly AT ALL but I have 17,000 HHonors in my account which could be built upon. *** I will probably not be doing traditional hotels, but could be job shop travelling doing "extended stays" in Dec a few months so this could be a points builder **  This is making me debate the Barclays Choice Priveledges (?) card which is associated with the Comfort Inn, Suburban Extended Stay etc. But I feel like I am missing out on these crazy ass signups of 60k points etc with the bigger name hotels. Considered the HHonors awards cards, but I wouldnt get volume purchases/nights on my end with them -- I could NOT do a month of extended stay with them @ $65-90 / ni.

- I have 40k+ verifiable income 2009, but it doesn't show anywhere, it would need to be checked by a  creditor sending a 4605-T request guarantee from the IRS gov. Do have pay stubs showing 30k already W2's part time 2010.

-Amex and Capitol , have been bad blood with them, they prob wont take me due to old chargoffs on both of them 01-02

The big 60,000 ect Honors cards sound attractive enough so no hurt in trying a bunch-- but I wonder if anyone has any common sense about helping me make this process, rather than try em all.

I am trying to maximize 1. Credit line with a TU approval, 2. Points gaining opportunity with more frequent use of the card 3. Type of rewards to something I can actually use, hey if its just cash back thats ok too.

Thanks for any help, I am amazed at what I've read in here so far! Def stick around and see how I can improve my score.

Peace

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
PRILEY
Regular Contributor

Re: New cautious search for card

Discover pulled TU for me.

Message 2 of 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

For CC though I wouldn't focus on the reward factor at all!  The better deals and limits are lines w/o the rewards.  Typically you will see a 3-5% or more increase in your APR and possible AF's charged to have the account.  TU... for major cards I would search on here and you will find some of them.  Otherwise it is usually more dependent on the region you live in and the lenders preferred CB to pull from.  The midwest is notorious for using TU, the south is usually EQ, and EX is just a bad deal all around.   If you want to get the most bang for you buck on the inquiry I would see if there are any CU's that pull TU and go with one of them instead.  I have 2 CU accounts one is 9.9% and the other is 11.9% at this point and both exceed 10K.  I can live without the rewards if I'm savvy enough to shop online and save 50-75% off on a hotel weekly.. just something to think about if you want to increase your leverage and credit scores.

For the traveling part I can chime in.  I recently switched jobs and relocated and found priceline to be great for extended stays.  $30/ni for each week and home on weekends.  3 different hotels for 3 weeks but Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Summerfield Suites, and of course the Holiday Inn Express.

Message 3 of 5
titanium_bbx
Contributor

So I overdid it on the inquiries (15+) but managed to get a total of 12,000 credit interspersed over 8 new cards , which I honestly need and therefore worth any ding inquiries.

Biggest shocker was Best Western / Barclays (1300) and Paypal Extras (3300)...

I'm pretty sure GE Money Bank ran only TU cause they approved Old Navy, ShopNBC and a few others quickly -- or I didn't have those one or two baddies they watch for in combination with a different kind of baddie. (Although I do have baddies Smiley Happy

Walmart Discover denied me, then called back for ID check and to approve a reasonable amount.

When I started applying in Sept, 2010  -- > Now, Dec 1, 2010

TransUnion:                   710  -> 768

Equifax (myFico):           661 -> 683

Thats probably it for me for a while, it was nice to see the scores go up, will try to keep the balances under 30-40%.

Considering I was struggling with a single Orchard Bank 500 in Sept, this is a big improvement both in score and lines.

Message 4 of 5
OnWayUpinTexas
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on the new credit lines!

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.