Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New checking account questions...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

New checking account questions...

For reasons that I'm NOT going to state too clearly, I'm soon going to NEED a new checking account with one of the larger banks...  (Currently, I have four checking accounts, but they are all with local banks, none of the big boys...)

Which leads to a few questions...assuming that BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc do a credit check when opening a new checking account, do any of them offer a pre approval for a credit card upon opening?

(unfortunately, I'll be travelling a lot more over the next few months and would like to carry less cash on my person...thus would like a bank that has branches here in Kansas City as well as Phoenix, AZ...)

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TerribleTowel
Established Member

Re: New checking account questions...

At PNC bank we always SP new customers - I am assuming Chase, BofA, etc do the same thing.

I regularly had alerts for new customers about pre-approvals.  I can't say for certain how any of the other banks do things internally but I doubt their practices are much different.

AMEX BCP (5.5K) - USAA AMEX (10K) - USAA PLAT STUDENT (1K) - NFCU FLAGSHIP VISA (17K) - CSP (5K) - HD (8250) - CAP1 (1250) - PP (1.5K) - USBANK (600)
OUT TO THE GARDEN: 7/27/13
Message 2 of 5
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Chase,citi,wells fargo all do soft pulls..recenlt joined citi n wells..i know chase and citi have preapp site ..i dont think they do preapp on cards upon opening though

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 3 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

For reasons that I'm NOT going to state too clearly, I'm soon going to NEED a new checking account with one of the larger banks...  (Currently, I have four checking accounts, but they are all with local banks, none of the big boys...)

Which leads to a few questions...assuming that BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc do a credit check when opening a new checking account, do any of them offer a pre approval for a credit card upon opening?

(unfortunately, I'll be travelling a lot more over the next few months and would like to carry less cash on my person...thus would like a bank that has branches here in Kansas City as well as Phoenix, AZ...)

I have a checking account with Chase to get the extra points with the Freedom, and when we set up my account I had a preapproval for a card, presumably the Slate since that was the only other card I didn't have! Chase soft pulls at account opening.

Message 4 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

For BofA, citi, Wells Fargo and chase, the branch manager / banker can "improve" the chances of getting the customer approved for their basic cards usually as long as the deposit amount is sufficient. This usually tends to help people with thin files, not so much for people with bad files.

If your daily average balance is sizable, they might even be able to get you approved for the better cards. Someone I know was approved for the CSP that way with no prior credit history.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.