Valued Contributor
tcbofade

New checking account questions...

For reasons that I'm NOT going to state too clearly, I'm soon going to NEED a new checking account with one of the larger banks...  (Currently, I have four checking accounts, but they are all with local banks, none of the big boys...)

Which leads to a few questions...assuming that BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc do a credit check when opening a new checking account, do any of them offer a pre approval for a credit card upon opening?

(unfortunately, I'll be travelling a lot more over the next few months and would like to carry less cash on my person...thus would like a bank that has branches here in Kansas City as well as Phoenix, AZ...)

Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 648 Wally (TU08). 08/29/14 Last app 05/29/2014.
Being held hostage in the garden until 01 November 2014.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Established Member
TerribleTowel

Re: New checking account questions...

At PNC bank we always SP new customers - I am assuming Chase, BofA, etc do the same thing.

I regularly had alerts for new customers about pre-approvals.  I can't say for certain how any of the other banks do things internally but I doubt their practices are much different.

AMEX BCP (5.5K) - USAA AMEX (10K) - USAA PLAT STUDENT (1K) - NFCU FLAGSHIP VISA (17K) - CSP (5K) - HD (8250) - CAP1 (1250) - PP (1.5K) - USBANK (600)
OUT TO THE GARDEN: 7/27/13
Established Contributor
kobe2012

[ Edited ]
Chase,citi,wells fargo all do soft pulls..recenlt joined citi n wells..i know chase and citi have preapp site ..i dont think they do preapp on cards upon opening though

Starting Score: TU: 598 03/23/2012 EQ:607 05/24/2012 EX:607 04/26/2012 (lender pull) EX FAKO:522 03/2012
Current Score: TU(Myfico)04/2013:689 EQ(Myfico)04/2013:701 EX(AMEX pull)04/01/2013:675 (CreditSecure FAKOS) 5/14/2013 EX:726 EQ:701 TU:730 TU(Walmart):699
Barclay Rewards:5k/Cap1:$3.5k/Cap1:$2.5k/Citi TYP:2k/Freedom:$5k/Slate:3k/Marriott visa sig 5k/BCE:$1k/Zync: $500 PSL/Discover IT:$1.9k/Walmart:$8k/Chevron:$5k/Gap:$5k/Kay:$3.4kk

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe

tcbofade wrote:

For reasons that I'm NOT going to state too clearly, I'm soon going to NEED a new checking account with one of the larger banks...  (Currently, I have four checking accounts, but they are all with local banks, none of the big boys...)

Which leads to a few questions...assuming that BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc do a credit check when opening a new checking account, do any of them offer a pre approval for a credit card upon opening?

(unfortunately, I'll be travelling a lot more over the next few months and would like to carry less cash on my person...thus would like a bank that has branches here in Kansas City as well as Phoenix, AZ...)

I have a checking account with Chase to get the extra points with the Freedom, and when we set up my account I had a preapproval for a card, presumably the Slate since that was the only other card I didn't have! Chase soft pulls at account opening.

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 747 Credit Karma (TU) 789 Transrisk 846/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 768 Credit.com (EX) 768 VantageScore 3.0 745
Super Contributor
enharu

For BofA, citi, Wells Fargo and chase, the branch manager / banker can "improve" the chances of getting the customer approved for their basic cards usually as long as the deposit amount is sufficient. This usually tends to help people with thin files, not so much for people with bad files.

If your daily average balance is sizable, they might even be able to get you approved for the better cards. Someone I know was approved for the CSP that way with no prior credit history.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+