Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit advice needed.

tag
jordanen
Established Member

New credit advice needed.

I hope I'm putting this message in the right place...but here goes.  Long story short, I got into some bad debt...and I mean bad!  So,  I was shocked that credit one gave me an approval!  I've sure messed up a mega-ton, I should  be banned for life from ever getting a credit card, but thesee guys are giving me a second chance!  I need the advice not  to pooch  things up again!  I'm considering getting a cap1 secured, and CLI-ing it myself to 3K over time...if that doesn't help, what will?  Would only 2 cards tide me over for a year or two?  I don't know of any other subprime cards besides credit one and First Premier which are usurious in nature.  I welcome any and all suggestions!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: New credit advice needed.

SDFCU no HP and reports to all three credit bureaus. It doesn't unsecure but will help you get going on your credit journey.

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You get a secured card from first progress. There is no hard pull
Message 3 of 6
Chris679
Established Contributor

I always advise people to start with cap one and Walmart. They are easy to get, no fees, useful and can remain useful later on after your situation improves.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I meesed up bad myself. When I started rebuilding, I applied for an HSBC unsecured AF card (now Cap 1). I was approved with a $300 credit limit. It's been 4 years and the limit is up to $3700.

Do you know your credit score? Any outstanding baddies?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
I always advise people to start with cap one and Walmart. They are easy to get, no fees, useful and can remain useful later on after your situation improves.

+1

Though walmart is a little trickier than cap1.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.