Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit card?

tag
hajew86
New Contributor

New credit card?

Hello all!

I'm looking into the idea of aquiring a new CC and I would like some ideas based upon my current credit situation.

I currently have:

First Credit Bank: 500CL; 0B (looking into CLI but have to wait 3 months)

Cap One Quicksilver: 500CL; 53B (looking to CLI but have to wait 2 months)

Cap One Secured: 200CL; 33B

Sears Card: 1000CL; 700B

I bought a new home on Oct 31st and I hope to see it hit my credit report any day. I don't have any derog on any of my reports, and that's verified after I pulled my Annual credit reports! However the only info I have to go on right now is that my Exquifax FICO score is 681. I havent pulled my other two scores just yet but based upon that score can anyone give me some guidance as to what I should look into? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: New credit card?

with 681 you may want to try Chase or Discover, Good luck, on Sears is that a 700 bal on 1000?

Message 2 of 8
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@hajew86 wrote:

Hello all!

I'm looking into the idea of aquiring a new CC and I would like some ideas based upon my current credit situation.

I currently have:

Sears Card: 1000B; 700B

I bought a new home on Oct 31st and I hope to see it hit my credit report any day. I don't have any derog on any of my reports, and that's verified after I pulled my Annual credit reports! However the only info I have to go on right now is that my Exquifax FICO score is 681. I havent pulled my other two scores just yet but based upon that score can anyone give me some guidance as to what I should look into? Thanks!

I would pay off all my cards but 1 and let a very small bal report on that 1.... Before I app for anything

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 8
hajew86
New Contributor

I just corrected the post. It's 700 on 1000. I've been paying slowly on that one since I purchased a new fridge when I bought the home. 

Message 4 of 8
hajew86
New Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

I would pay off all my cards but 1 and let a very small bal report on that 1.... Before I app for anything

Thanks for the advice!

Message 5 of 8
Networth
Frequent Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@hajew86 wrote:

Hello all!

I currently have:

Sears Card: 1000B; 700B

+1 Get your current Util and debt down before worrying about a new card.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 6 of 8
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@hajew86 wrote:

Hello all!

I currently have:

Sears Card: 1000CL; 700B

Like other posters said, get your debt down to under 10% Overall UTIL and apply for the prime cards! (AMEX, CITI, DISCOVER, BofA and etc.) Your credit score will be much higher and you should be able to obtain higher limits than 1k. After that, once you get about 2 new prime cards, dump that Cap1 Secured and First Credit Card!

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 7 of 8
aliang

You already have 2 credit cards with decent credit limit with very low balance, why do you need to apply for another one? Do you know your credit score? I'd keep using the 2 cards and payoff your bills every month to build a solid credit history. Asking for CLI too often acutally hurts your credit score because the banks will have to run a credit inquiry.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.