Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New forum: Credit Card App Approvals -- 10/25/13

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: New forum: Credit Card App Approvals -- 10/25/13

@juggalo9er

Most of our posts have what I call, mixed issues. In order to keep things in sub forums, that would mean you couldn't ask for advice on UW for one card and then asking about sign up bonuses for another. That's not to say additional sub forums would not be beneficial.
Message 31 of 40
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

The Credit Card Forum is the busiest board here at myFICO. Keeping threads to credit card related matters is our ultimate goal.
It became apparent that certain things were getting lost in the board and a change was needed.

I don't mind the way it was, but do confess to not being interested in people's newly approved credit cards any more than in their adorable newborn babies. The whole world has to be in on these exciting tidbits of course, and maybe that's why having just one forum is so popular.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, many things are candidates for moving, but I do think this change can be helpful.   Being totally unaware of social nicities (I was raised by a family of garden slugs), I really don't care that someone I don't know with scores nothing like mine, did or did not get a particlar card.   And I care even less to read other people I don't know congratulating that person I don't know (and they don't know) in some sickening group hug etc.

Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 40
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:
Ever consider a separate forum for the Garden Club? I get so many email notifications in one day, it's ridiculous! Smiley Happy

I realize that the Garden Club is a VERY active thread. But it really doesn't need a separate forum, as all of the activity is contained in one thread per month, as opposed to all different kind of threads scattered throughout the board. That way, anyone who wants to participate can, and those who don't can steer clear of the thread. And since certain aspects of gardening tend to be related to credit cards -- dealing with app itch (after all, how many people have the itch to apply for a mortgage or car loan just because?), waiting for accounts to grow and CLs to increase  -- leaving it in the CC forum seems to be the best way to ensure that the topic is visible to those who would most find it of interest.

As for the email notifications, I would concur with Revelate's suggestion to see what options would work best for you with regard to turning them off.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 33 of 40
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Walt_K

The Credit Card Forum is the busiest board here at myFICO. Keeping threads to credit card related matters is our ultimate goal.
It became apparent that certain things were getting lost in the board and a change was needed.

The separate forum allows for easier searching for approvals and CLI's and is a work in progress.

Perhaps, we can spin off a sub forum for the monthly TU/EQ scores from various lenders. We are always open to suggestions and ideas to make your visit to the myfico - user friendly.

Don't get me wrong.  I understand that trying to police the various threads and moving things around would be incredibly difficult, and the more categories you create, the more difficult it is to say what belongs where.  I'm not complaining at the mods at all.  I wish people would think a little bit more about what they post where.  I happen to find the threads of monthly scores for X card to be silly.  I suppose I'm waiting for someone to start posting "Discover statements are now out for those whose statements close on November 13."  But there are probably people who find what I post silly, so live and let live.

If I want to start listing my pet peeves, I should heed my own advice and head over to Smorgasborg.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 40
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Oops I've been away for a few months didn't realize the separate board for CLI's -- thank you to whichever mod moved my post for me..sorry :-)

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 35 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 36 of 40
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Just a thought

Change name to substantiate the difference

CREDIT CARD TO CREDIT CARD ADVICE

Something like that, yes. And don't declines belong with approvals? As in what has already taken place vs not yet.

Come to think of it, closed cards too!

Message 37 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@Walt_K

The separate forum allows for easier searching for approvals and CLI's and is a work in progress.

Perhaps, we can spin off a sub forum for the monthly TU/EQ scores from various lenders. We are always open to suggestions and ideas to make your visit to the myfico - user friendly.

Don't get me wrong.  I understand that trying to police the various threads and moving things around would be incredibly difficult, and the more categories you create, the more difficult it is to say what belongs where.  I'm not complaining at the mods at all.  I wish people would think a little bit more about what they post where.  I happen to find the threads of monthly scores for X card to be silly.  I suppose I'm waiting for someone to start posting "Discover statements are now out for those whose statements close on November 13."  But there are probably people who find what I post silly, so live and let live.

If I want to start listing my pet peeves, I should heed my own advice and head over to Smorgasborg.

Walt,

You make good points; I for one agree with you regarding the Monthly Walmart / Barclay's / Etc scores: Gas or somewhere else other than CC's is likely where it should go.  The statement one, I don't know.  There's an element of socialization on this forum which we don't want to discourage, but at the same time we want to keep information more easily findable (and there were other reasons too, the glitter of approvals is distracting for some folks and indirectly or directly may encourage people to keep applying for things when patience is required... even I succumbed to that regarding my Zync app and I'm way more disciplined than many).

We're always trying to find ways to improve the forums for everyone; on the whole, at least from the reports I've seen it's something like a 4-1 split or higher for people who support the change vs. hate it.  It doesn't mean it's perfect, and as a mod I think we're already splitting hairs on some things and short of locking a thread which starts off here, then someone gets approval on and splitting the approval messages to a new thread in the Approvals forum... erg.  That's a lot of moderator overhead.  I'm struggling on some things other than to simply move it and be done with it.  We don't want too many sub-categories as honestly I think Lithium is a little inflexible in it's board layout (or maybe we just chose perhaps awkwardly originally, I don't know the history to that detail level) and it would get needlessly complicated to determine what went where, but where it makes sense I think we should make changes. 

In any event, the idea for the new forum came mostly from a forum user, it was deemed to be a good idea by everyone who got a vote (sorry, no democracy here heh), and so we did it.   If it doesn't work out longer-term we'll revisit the issue.  Likewise other feedback like moving the Monthly FICO score threads we do appreciate, and that's easy to implement without impacting much, but generally that gets limited to 2-3 threads a month which can easily be skipped much like the Garden thread.  Something like App Approvals, there was one period where there was a 17:1 ratio AppApprovals vs. Credit Cards forum.  That's worthy of it's own category I think though it's balanced out more as of late.

--Rev

Edit: or General Credit appears to be the right spot since that's where we discuss CMS's anyway Smiley Happy

        
Message 38 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I don't have a great solution to propose (apart from letting only me post, that's probably the best), but having all the "Moved" thread markers still produces a lot of clutter.   It's a win in that I know I don't have to look at those threads regardless of the subject line, but do we need to still have the "Moved" stuff?   I guess we would see a lot of "What happened to my post" but that might be an opportunity to educate.

Message 39 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Hopefully, members will become familiar with our new sub forum and the 'moved' posts volume will lessen.
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.