cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New handbag for wife. Best cashback?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: New handbag for wife. Best cashback?

@Anonymous wrote:

Wife wants new handbag. Price range is $3000-$6000. Louis Vuitton or Chanel. Best way to earn cashback?

louis Vuitton consider department store to discover? Any discover deal that I can use. Apple Pay? Why are leather bags so expensive? Wife getting more expensive every year; time for product change to younger wife. Smiley Happy

My ex-girlfriend bought a bag (Chanel I believe) and it was like 4k. All I could think was that little bag cost more than my first car! The way she explained it to me is that it is an investment and that the value of these bags increase each year. It sounded like an excuse but I honestly can say i do not get why some women are into spending this kinda money on a bag. On a side note you can save quite a bit if you are going to be in europe via tax savings. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 31 of 52
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

I love handbags! LV is on my wish list but I personally have a hard time buying any bag I see people selling/buying (knockoffs) on side the roads or in beauty supply stores. Like LV, Coach and Michael Kors. I'm all Kate Spade these days. Georgeous bags and they're made to last. I have yet to see a knockoff in my area and I like that. Not to say they aren't out there somewhere but the market isn't saturated with them.

That being said, if your wife wants it and you can afford it, go for it. The real ones are quality bags with decent warranty. She'll have it for years and most of the classic styles don't change. It won't grow in value but I have an aunt with a Speedy bag she bought over 30 years ago in great condition. If times got tough she could sell it today for the same price as someone selling one bought 5 years ago. The resale value on Coach or Michael Kors is terrible. Your wife will be very happy!

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 32 of 52
icyhot
Valued Contributor

A consignment shop likely wouldn't take Apple Pay or be coded as a department, totally voiding out OPs plan. Like someone said, if OP can afford it, then the best strategy is figuring out how to maximize rewards, not save money
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 33 of 52
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

IMO the best "cash back" would be to buy the $500 bag (still insane if you ask me but I'm a guy) and enjoy the $5500 cash back. 

Message 34 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many people actually buy second-hand bags? There's talk from the sellers' perspective about bags retaining value, but not a lot of talk from prospective buyers about actually wanting a second-hand bag.

Message 35 of 52
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

I buy and sell second hand bags. There is an upscale consignment shop in my area that sells out of LVs before they can even put them on the shelf. My community also has a Facebook group to list items for sale and lots of Tory Burch/Chanel/Michael Kors bags get listed. I sell and buy bags on sites like Poshmark also. A lot of Kate Spade bags are seasonal so if I see someone with a bag I want and I can't get it in the stores anymore I find it online. I usually don't change bags with every outfit so I don't want dozens of $400+ dollar bags just sitting in my closet. If I haven't used it in years I sell it.

Most nice bags come with dust bags for storage and I buy the protectors for the inside so it doesn't get marked with pens or loose makeup. People absolutely buy well cared for used handbags.

Message 36 of 52
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree that if it's what OP wants to spend money on and can afford it, then who cares?

The bigger issue to me is that you aren't likely to find a consignment that will code as "department" so you may be having to settle for base cash back. (2% on discover if you got the double promo).

Message 37 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MaisCher wrote:

I buy and sell second hand bags. There is an upscale consignment shop in my area that sells out of LVs before they can even put them on the shelf. My community also has a Facebook group to list items for sale and lots of Tory Burch/Chanel/Michael Kors bags get listed. I sell and buy bags on sites like Poshmark also. A lot of Kate Spade bags are seasonal so if I see someone with a bag I want and I can't get it in the stores anymore I find it online. I usually don't change bags with every outfit so I don't want dozens of $400+ dollar bags just sitting in my closet. If I haven't used it in years I sell it.

Most nice bags come with dust bags for storage and I buy the protectors for the inside so it doesn't get marked with pens or loose makeup. People absolutely buy well cared for used handbags.

I can see the demand for lightly-used bags, absolutely. But if someone uses a $5k bag 3-4 days a week over a 10 year period, that's about 2000 days of use. That's a lot more opportunity for wear than using a bag once every few weeks/months/years. Would a $5k bag still retain much value after 2000 days of use?

Message 38 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't Louis Vuitton take apple pay? I sure, i saw lv on apple pay list. I thought apple pay was 22% cashback.
Message 39 of 52
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:

I can see the demand for lightly-used bags, absolutely. But if someone uses a $5k bag 3-4 days a week over a 10 year period, that's about 2000 days of use. That's a lot more opportunity for wear than using a bag once every few weeks/months/years. Would a $5k bag still retain much value after 2000 days of use?

Guess it depends. I've seen some pretty old (in age not appearance) ones listed as "vintage" and they sell. 

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.