Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here, bear with me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here, bear with me

I have always been against credit, because I didn't really know anything about it (Or really need/care about it). I finally decided to dive in, information wise, about a year ago. I had terrible scores, in part due to a vacant history, and in part due to a collection. The collection was for a towing company. Long story short, my car was stolen in '09, turns out it was stripped but recovered months later. I was never informed about it, and ended up with a $1500 collection (That I found out about last summer with my first credit report)

After reading up, and arming myself with credit info (Mainly from this forum, Thanks!) I figured it would be easier to let it fall off, since it had been reported for so long already. 

Another thing I noticed when I did my first credit pull last summer, was a credit line that was in good standing, and 20 years old (I am in my late 30's). It is a Mil-Star credit card I got in 96 when I was in the Army. I used it once back then, paid it off, and forgot all about it. Even though there has been zero activity on it, it still shows as my oldest line of credit, which is awesome.

I decided to start building a few months ago. Reading these forums I found out about the Shopping Cart trick, and got an HSN card for $750. A month or so later, when it was reported on CK, I did applied for a Cap QS1 and was approved for the standard $300 with a bump in 5 months. Once that reported a couple weeks ago, I decided to just try one more, before retreating to the garden for 12-24 months. I applied for a Discover It card, I got the We will send you info in 5-7 days screen, and assumed it was denied (can't blame them). I got an email from them a few days later stating I was accepted, and given a $2500 credit line. I love Discover. Also, my Towing Company collection just fell off this week!

I know it is not much, and I know I am starting 'adulting' pretty late in life (as is my SO). But with a lot of reading, and a fairly informed plan of attack, I went from no credit and 580ish scores, to $3350 and a bump to an almost 700 score in a couple of months. 

My plan now, besides the obvious proper usage, is to garden for 12-24 months while I get used to using cards. Hopefully I can get Cap1 to bump me up to the No AF version right around the 1 year mark.

I honestly feel strange dropping this kind of personal info out into the ether, but I want everyone here to know that you help a lot of lurkers. And hopefully someone in my situation can gain some hope. 

Say it with me now; 'Keep it under 30%, PIF every month, keep your eyes on the prize'

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: New here, bear with me

Haha Grats on the awesome start! And pretty cool that you have a ~20 year TL. That'll really help your AAoA.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it is not much, and I know I am starting 'adulting' pretty late in life (as is my SO). But with a lot of reading, and a fairly informed plan of attack, I went from no credit and 580ish scores, to $3350 and a bump to an almost 700 score in a couple of months. 

Love this line.

I started early. Stopped. Started again. Stopped. Started again. I get it.

Sounds like you're on the right track. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to MyFico and congrats on your credit improvement and good luck in the future.

Message 4 of 10
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Welcome and thanx much for sharing.

Message 5 of 10
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Hey it's probably best you started later. People get into credit when they're late and all they know is "hey free money if I give them $20 a month" and they destroy their future or have to work really hard to fix it. Some (A lot) people go their whole lives never using credit, that's totally cool. I couldn't do it tho lol
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 6 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have always been against credit, because I didn't really know anything about it (Or really need/care about it). I finally decided to dive in, information wise, about a year ago. I had terrible scores, in part due to a vacant history, and in part due to a collection. The collection was for a towing company. Long story short, my car was stolen in '09, turns out it was stripped but recovered months later. I was never informed about it, and ended up with a $1500 collection (That I found out about last summer with my first credit report)

After reading up, and arming myself with credit info (Mainly from this forum, Thanks!) I figured it would be easier to let it fall off, since it had been reported for so long already. 

Another thing I noticed when I did my first credit pull last summer, was a credit line that was in good standing, and 20 years old (I am in my late 30's). It is a Mil-Star credit card I got in 96 when I was in the Army. I used it once back then, paid it off, and forgot all about it. Even though there has been zero activity on it, it still shows as my oldest line of credit, which is awesome.

I decided to start building a few months ago. Reading these forums I found out about the Shopping Cart trick, and got an HSN card for $750. A month or so later, when it was reported on CK, I did applied for a Cap QS1 and was approved for the standard $300 with a bump in 5 months. Once that reported a couple weeks ago, I decided to just try one more, before retreating to the garden for 12-24 months. I applied for a Discover It card, I got the We will send you info in 5-7 days screen, and assumed it was denied (can't blame them). I got an email from them a few days later stating I was accepted, and given a $2500 credit line. I love Discover. Also, my Towing Company collection just fell off this week!

My plan now, besides the obvious proper usage, is to garden for 12-24 months while I get used to using cards. Hopefully I can get Cap1 to bump me up to the No AF version right around the 1 year mark.

I honestly feel strange dropping this kind of personal info out into the ether, but I want everyone here to know that you help a lot of lurkers. And hopefully someone in my situation can gain some hope. 

Say it with me now; 'Keep it under 30%, PIF every month, keep your eyes on the prize'

Congrats. Welcome to the forum. No shame here. We still don't know you. The only way is to put personal info out there for help. And beleive me. We will help. Congrats on your approvals. and great plan. Garden Garden Garden. Wish i would have did that. But hey. I don't have a Garden hoe.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! I never really had an issue with needing credit, if I wanted something, I purchased it outright if I could afford it. If not, I saved.

Once I saw proper credit usage as a game, it clicked. No one ever taught me how to manage debt, so I thought credit cards were all debt all the time. And just decided to never have one.

But these days, your credit score can affect so many avenues of life it's almost impossible to gain ground without a decent score. I'm not using credit to extend my spending, I'm only using it to extend my score and therefore how future employers/lenders/property managers see me.
Message 8 of 10
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the great work. Keep it up and swipe wisely!!!

Personal:

Business:

Message 9 of 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks everyone! I never really had an issue with needing credit, if I wanted something, I purchased it outright if I could afford it. If not, I saved.

Once I saw proper credit usage as a game, it clicked. No one ever taught me how to manage debt, so I thought credit cards were all debt all the time. And just decided to never have one.

But these days, your credit score can affect so many avenues of life it's almost impossible to gain ground without a decent score. I'm not using credit to extend my spending, I'm only using it to extend my score and therefore how future employers/lenders/property managers see me.

+1

ive been wanting credit since I was 18 and got my card when I was 23. My scores are around the 730 range and while I am not buying a house or a car any time soon I can build my history up to the point when I do I already have a good credit history.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.