Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New homeowner??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New homeowner??

Hello. Start with a little background on my credit history. I spend most of my late teens and early twenties applying for every credit I could. I had no understanding or respect for the responsibility of credit. By the time I was 28 I was way in over my head and could no longer keep up and have my vehicle repossessed. I spent the next few years running away from my debt and told myself I could just use cash for everything. Finally in 2011 at the age of 33 i realized that if I was ever going to be able to provide a stable environment for my three-year-old son I had to face it and do something. I went to see an attorney and he recommended chapter 7 bankruptcy. In December of 2015 i received my first CC ( Cap One Platinum) and decided this was my chance to start over and rebuild. I started with a 300 limit and now have a $2300 limit. I'm am 39 yrs old and just purchased my first home yesterday. My scores are 701, 695 and 680. Needing things for the new house like a washer and dryer and lawnmower I went to Lowe's and applied for a credit card and was denied. I thought for sure I would be approved but I guess that was me being naive. Can someone give me some guidance on where I should go now? Thanks
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New homeowner??

i may have misread this but did you claim BK? Maybe that scared Lowes? My ex husband has horrible credit but was able to get a Home Depot card and was denied a Lowes. I feel like i've heard Lowes is harder to get, but i may be completely incorrect in that thinking. 

Message 2 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Its quite possible you might elect to apply for a Discover card who ususlly have a home improvement quarter where you can also get double cash back 1st year. Thats just an alternate suggestion for Lowes but as SMC, stated check out the prequalifier for Home Depot, maybe they will give you a chance. Lowes seems like they can be picky but once in grows like wild fire. Congrats on taking control of your credit and your new homeSmiley Happy. Youll get it get perserveringSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I had a BK but it was 6 years ago.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the prequalifier for home depot? The only thing that I'm thinking that it might be is that I have 5-6 recent inquiries on my CR from shopping rates for a mortgage. If the denial letter comes in and states that is the reason maybe i could call them to explain. Thanks for the replies
Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the prequalifier for home depot? The only thing that I'm thinking that it might be is that I have 5-6 recent inquiries on my CR from shopping rates for a mortgage. If the denial letter comes in and states that is the reason maybe i could call them to explain. Thanks for the replies

The prequal site for Home Depot can be found here:  https://citiretailservices.citibankonline.com/CRS/acq/launch/index.action?app=PQ01&siteId=PLCN_HOMEDEPOT&sc=30052&cmp=A~Z~C~P~1~5~ZZZZ~PQ~HD~ZZ

You can also find the link by going to Home Depot's credit page here and scrolling down a bit.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just approved for discover rewards card with a 1600.00 limit. I was unable to get the one that has 0% for 14 months but at least I was approved. I probably won't use this card for any large purchases since the rate is almost 24%.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.