cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New idea for borderline candidates ... Anyone try this yet?

tag
BullsEye10
New Contributor

New idea for borderline candidates ... Anyone try this yet?

As some of you may recall from prior posts, I am jonesing for an AMEX platinum.  I am planning a trip to Argentina for the end of the summer / early fall and want the points that a $10,000 trip will earn me, I don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees and I want access to the first class lounges while I travel.

It appears as if I would be a borderline applicant for the card.  I have a good income ($150k+), fair score (Experian 684), only one inquiry on Experian and a good AAoA,  but some derogatory marks on my report as well.

After reading about reconsiderations and back door numbers on this (and other) boards, I had an idea and was wondering if anyone else had ever tried this:

Call the recon number first.

Presumably, you would be speaking with a more senior (and knowledgable) CSR who may be able to give insight as to whether the derogatory marks are fatal, or something that a valid explanation will excuse.  I could also ask if I would be better off applying for the green or gold card, and whether I could upgrade in a month or two.  It seems that doing this may save me a hard pull on the file.

Has anyone tried this before?  Thoughts?

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: New idea for borderline candidates ... Anyone try this yet?

Just apply for Platinum.  The criteria for approval for green, gold, platinum seems to be the same.  If you apply for green or gold first, you may not be able to upgrade for 13 months. 

How recent are your derogatory marks?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
BullsEye10
New Contributor

Last derog just over a year ago.

My family business' bookkeeper dropped the ball on payments that were supposed to be made.  I didn't catch it until two months later.  I immediately paid to bring it current but ended up with a derogatory mark.

I thought it might be worth it to discuss that with a reconsideration CSR before wasting the hard pull.

Thoughts?  Advice?

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 3 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

It won't help to talk to recon analyst first. They don't have your credit report for one. Go ahead and apply. I think you have pretty good chance. If you want to get score higher, you can try and manage your util to report ideally. Also, remember even with platinum, you need to show some use before the trip to help get your npsl limit up. Otherwise, it would stink to get denials while overseas. Unless you have previous history with Amex, 10k to but on any Amex charge card in first couple of months is pushing it.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 5
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

I agree. A credit analyst will simply tell you that you'd need to apply before they can review your eligibility. I also agree that you've got a good shot at getting approved for a charge card.

Separate note - if you're looking to sign up for the Platinum card for the rewards, I would not recommend the Platinum card. The best rewards are actually offered by the Premier Rewards Gold card (3X Airfare, 2X gas and supermarkets, 1X everything else). You only get 1 point per dollar with the Platinum.

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.