Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New job, lower income

tag
acb5456
Regular Contributor

New job, lower income

Hey everyone,

I was let go from my job recently due to current economical cutbacks. I was making $39,000/year. Fortunately I have found a new job, ut with a lower salary, $25,000. All of my cards are below with limits except my Barclays Arrival+ ($6,000), which i plan to close right before the annual fee hits.

I feel blessed to have found a new job, though i am worried about my current lenders. My credit report is clean and all of my cards are older than a year except my CSP (9/13) and Arrival+. 6 years AAOA. Perfect payment history. No credit card debt exccept a few hundred left on the Arrival+ for an upcoming vacation, almost paid for.

Should i just lay low and continue to be a reliable credit consumer, continuing to use my cards and build my file? Or should i mention the new income???

Thank you all!

Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $15,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $15,000 | Discover IT: $15,000

FICO: TU-793 (Discover), EX-805 (Amex), EQ-790
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New job, lower income

It has happened to me. Laid low and let sleeping dogs lay.
Message 2 of 9
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@acb5456 wrote:

Hey everyone,

I was let go from my job recently due to current economical cutbacks. I was making $39,000/year. Fortunately I have found a new job, ut with a lower salary, $25,000. All of my cards are below with limits except my Barclays Arrival+ ($6,000), which i plan to close right before the annual fee hits.

I feel blessed to have found a new job, though i am worried about my current lenders. My credit report is clean and all of my cards are older than a year except my CSP (9/13) and Arrival+. 6 years AAOA. Perfect payment history. No credit card debt exccept a few hundred left on the Arrival+ for an upcoming vacation, almost paid for.

Should i just lay low and continue to be a reliable credit consumer, continuing to use my cards and build my file? Or should i mention the new income???

Thank you all!

Similar thing happened to me a few years back -- from $170,000 to $55,000, with four months of $0.00 in between Smiley Sad. I didn't mention it to my only creditor at the time, Capital One. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do so now either. Keep being a good customer -- pay your bills, etc. -- and that's all that matters. Also, doesn't Discover have unemployment protection? Can you use it to your advantage? 

I'm sorry to hear about the layoff, happy that you found something right away, and wish you the best!

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

I agree with everyone else.

No reason to volunteer any information unless requested of you.

Heck, when you go to request CLI's online, they ask you your income and don't even ask for actual verification; I'm sure it's a felony of sorts to give false information but yeah...  Keep the new lowered income to yourself.

Sorry to hear about the setback and hope you're able to bounce back.

Message 4 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

Just lay low. Of course on future apps you need to give the new income, but for current cards I'd just go ahead and make prompt payments etc.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

My income is $25k net so I wouldn't worry to much and continue to be a good customer.  Good Luck with your new job.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 9
acb5456
Regular Contributor

Thank you guys for your advice! I'll just continue to lay low and keep up my good credit habits!

And maybe this new job is a blessing in disguise 😊 we'll see!
Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $15,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $15,000 | Discover IT: $15,000

FICO: TU-793 (Discover), EX-805 (Amex), EQ-790
Message 7 of 9
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Back when I was a young lad I had a took a different job just to try it.  I was worried about being honest so I reported my new lower income to my Circuit City card (dont remember who issued it) about 3 days later they closed the card.  It was kind of a low blow since I had perfect payment history and no balance at the time.  Not sure thats always the case but as others have said...keep that change to yourself.  Good luck with the new job!

Message 8 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@acb5456 wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thank you all!

I would just avoid situations with the lender where you would be asked for your income information.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.