Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member w/ question(s)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New member w/ question(s)

Hi All,

New member, I've spent the past 24 hours digging through this wealth of knowledge and am amazed at what I have learned, and am so confused on other parts...All in due time!

I opened an NFCU savings/checking on 3/6 - I didn't realize this would be a HP.

My original plan was to apply for a CC via NFCU on 3/14, after my current capital 1/credit 1 cc's next statment prints showing a 5% utilization compared to the 95% on the current statment.

My question is A: since they did a HP already, will waiting to apply on 3/14 as planned be of any good or is the "damage done" per se?

B: I assume another HP for the CC app? 

Current score 560ish - details below

Current CC: $500 Cap 1 Secured (1yr mark on 3/9 statment)     1% utilization on new statment   3/9

$500 Cap 1 QuickSilver                                           6% utilization on new statment 3/13

$400 Credit One                                                      1% utilization on new statment  3/11

Current loan:$700/$1500  0 missed payments balance is less than $500 but slow reporting...

$700/$750 - Unsecured personal loan w/ revolving balance "Flex loan"? - Does this work the same as a CC for reported utilization?? 9mo old

Bad marks: Repo in 2011 - Finally paid off last week, should be updated 3/10. Lender not willing to delete but says will updated to "closed - paid after reposession"

Repo in 2011 - $6700/13K, have not made a payment - currently under dispute. *Only on T/U, EQ deleted last month

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New member w/ question(s)

Just wanted to make sure your questions got some answers. 

Yes, membership with NFCU is a hard pull and applying for a CC will be another hard pull. These pulls are never combined regardless of the time line between applying for membership and the card.

Yes, the damage is already done for the additional inquiry you have. They are reflective almost instantly on your reports and depending on your overall credit profile will determine the impact it has on your FICO score. 

The paid repo will have no impact on a FICO 8 score however it helps during manual reviews and is a positive talking point during recons. 

You should 100% wait until your statement updates and the new utilization is reflected. 95% is very high and many financial institutions believe that to be a indicator you can't handle the credit you have already been awarded and do not need more. Anything over 30% is risky, but 95% is asking for a denial. 

You have an item in dispute. I have always been told never app while an item is being disputed. Gives off bad impressions. Just wait until that is finished, should be 30 days max. Who knows, during that time you may receive a pre-approval offer from NFCU. I did.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

New member, I've spent the past 24 hours digging through this wealth of knowledge and am amazed at what I have learned, and am so confused on other parts...All in due time!

I opened an NFCU savings/checking on 3/6 - I didn't realize this would be a HP.

My original plan was to apply for a CC via NFCU on 3/14, after my current capital 1/credit 1 cc's next statment prints showing a 5% utilization compared to the 95% on the current statment.

My question is A: since they did a HP already, will waiting to apply on 3/14 as planned be of any good or is the "damage done" per se?

B: I assume another HP for the CC app? 

Current score 560ish - details below

Current CC: $500 Cap 1 Secured (1yr mark on 3/9 statment)     1% utilization on new statment   3/9

$500 Cap 1 QuickSilver                                           6% utilization on new statment 3/13

$400 Credit One                                                      1% utilization on new statment  3/11

Current loan:$700/$1500  0 missed payments balance is less than $500 but slow reporting...

$700/$750 - Unsecured personal loan w/ revolving balance "Flex loan"? - Does this work the same as a CC for reported utilization?? 9mo old

Bad marks: Repo in 2011 - Finally paid off last week, should be updated 3/10. Lender not willing to delete but says will updated to "closed - paid after reposession"

Repo in 2011 - $6700/13K, have not made a payment - currently under dispute. *Only on T/U, EQ deleted last month

Thanks,

1) Welcome to the forum

2) Welcome aboard NFCU (Love'em)

3) FYI ...It is best to ASSUME any CU will HP (some may SP) for membership this is their screening process more so than banks

(some will also run EWS and/or Chexsystems) again just FYI in the future and anybody else reading

Typically this pull is more of again a screening for past B.S. banking type behavior vs credit eval (again some CU 'might' use the same type pull for credit products, many don't)

4) With regard to Navy...it is indeed a different type of pull anyway, so you haven't burnt a pull a 2nd one generally is pulled anyway ( be careful with he exactness of when the CRA actually updates the info sent, from the lender though....I wouldn't be so comfortable with exact timing of the CRA's update vs when Cap-1 may SEND the data

I know Cap-1 is like clockwork (got them too) but I wouldn't be as comfortable with the CRA's on the dime timing just sayingSmiley Wink

5) Need more info on what a 'Flex loan' is ...different organizations hasve cute names for products internally that really mean nothing in the real world...it could referencing a flexible PL of sort or are we talking an actual LOC ?

6) Have you requested a CLI on the QS or is it too young? Are you still in the steps?

How old is the Credit One

With the Cap-1 being as old as it is, assuming prefect payment history for the year...there must be some issue as to why the score is so low, friend

It seems you're playing the reported debt ratio game but just how well have you...if several CC's and TIME that score should be higher

Had the repo been reported as a running late the entire time, did they just hit you with an updated status after allowing it to lay dormant until this recent pay off

something is off...also is it 2 different repos in 2011 just reporting differently depending on CRA or actually a totally unique item

I hate to have you work so hard and not get the fruit of your labor as much you should

*Before, I forget

If you want to optimize scoring, you ideally DO NOT want multiple cards reporting balances at all ...meaning you are actually HURTING your score by allowing

the 1% balances on the Cap-1 secured and the Credit One secured as the scoring model sees that as indeptness to yet 2 additional vendors ...it appears as THRISTY and in NEED of using MORE available options vs outstanding managing your finances

And trust me ...I bet you 'got' the information about the '1%' reporting and actually staged your accounts that way with purpose...the problem is whomever spit the game didn't finish the sentence or you stopped listen.....it's supposed be ONE account in use at 1%, with others showing 0%

Allowing multiples with zero actually works in the complete total reverse, as it shows NEED to use too many accounts, even $2 shows up as use as FICO rounds it to 1% usage...kill that noise and you'll buy yourself some positive juice very easily.

Again, sorry either you were misinformed or didn't 'get' how the 1% game actually works

I dodn't think you can PM till you have more post but when and if you want or need more game you're welcome to PM me if the landry cleaning isn't for public consumptionSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to make sure your questions got some answers. 

Yes, membership with NFCU is a hard pull and applying for a CC will be another hard pull. These pulls are never combined regardless of the time line between applying for membership and the card.

Yes, the damage is already done for the additional inquiry you have. They are reflective almost instantly on your reports and depending on your overall credit profile will determine the impact it has on your FICO score. 

The paid repo will have no impact on a FICO 8 score however it helps during manual reviews and is a positive talking point during recons. 

You should 100% wait until your statement updates and the new utilization is reflected. 95% is very high and many financial institutions believe that to be a indicator you can't handle the credit you have already been awarded and do not need more. Anything over 30% is risky, but 95% is asking for a denial. 

You have an item in dispute. I have always been told never app while an item is being disputed. Gives off bad impressions. Just wait until that is finished, should be 30 days max. Who knows, during that time you may receive a pre-approval offer from NFCU. I did.

Good luck.

Good post, great info

I'd just add that a lot of 'old school wives tales' still float around like bathroom rumors

some have a 'little' merit...most are fish stories

Yes, practically ZERO lenders will UW a MORTGAGE with items in dispute, so like a real estate person or someone with limited connection to overall lending

and/or credit extension may have added some gas to that fire.

But...

a) If it isn't a biggie like a mortgage it generally AIN'T that 'serious' to have to IMPRESSan UW'er (unless you're seeking a date, possiblySmiley Tongue)

b) Many, many approvals today are automated ...think 60 second approvals where the computer would see what's 'dispute' anyway

Just sharing so everybody isn't sold on this idea of being so worked up over other people over selling their 'old school' thoughts...the speed and automation of our modern world has moved a lot faster than the emotions attached to how things may have 'used' to happen more often

*Granted I'm not saying manual UW is gone per se just not anywhere near what it used to be when I started UW back in the day

I'm old but not yet 50, back in '89/90 when the FICO of the today hit the market it merged with how human UW acted and thought BACK THEN so since again humans are still around and we have memories and EMTION the computers don't have 'we' of times ADD our 'emotion' and unshakable programming into a NOW that's marketly different than what we 'feel'

<mod edit>

We must keep things family-friendly.  

Five things we don't talk about.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies!

While reading other threads I went to CCT and took advantage of the $1 offer and wow the differences vs CK are amazing, scores show 586eq 604tu 592eq.

I'm not concerned with the 2nd pull as much as "do they already see my high utilization and the new #'s wont matter" but I think I see that answered here and elsewhere, utilization has no "history". I based the timing on when CK showed reported dates, that also coincide w/ statment dates. Good call though no reason to rush it.

The flex loan is labled as FLEX LOC - CU described it as a CC without a physical card.

Both this, and the other personal loan mentioned are from a Local CU that have a partnership w/ my employer and offer them at 0%. I am eligible today for another $1500 loan as it is based on calendar year. 

The QS is 3 months this statement, I intended to request CLI after statement.

Credit one is also 3 months this statement - after being approved for this (my first unsecured cc) I immediately applied/approved for the QS.

Secured cap 1 is perfect history, I put $100 down for $200 CL, at 6mo auto cli $500.

Utilization has been high since starting, I horribly misunderstood statement date vs due date. I was using the card(s) daily reaching max quickly, paying it off and respending, paying, respending, etc. Cycle comes out w/ say $367/500 (Current QS statment 2/13) yet balanace due 0 with $420 available CL. Working hard to keep myself down! Smiley Happy

Also during the past 12mo, especially the past 3 months, I have had quite a few collection/past debts removed.

2 different repos, divorced in late 2010 court ordered to provide ex with vehicle. 

Thanks for clarifying the 1% reporting - I will make payments now for both the Cap1 secured & credit one. Should I bring the QS from 6% as planned to 1% or is anything under X acceptable?

Thanks again,

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!! I'll extend the welcome - join the cool kids club at MyFico! Smiley Happy

As far as I understand, it's every card reporting at 0% EXCEPT for one.  That one needs to report at under 10% for optimal scoring.

But who am I to be talking?! I've got balance transfers on two of my cards and I'm holding out until the 0% promo expires.

Anyways, welcome again, and congrats on NFCU.  I just joined them myself.  Their cards grow quickly from what I've seen, so that will also help utilization.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Here's the deal...
I just wanted to make sure, you understood the optimization game, IF you're gonna play it.

Now, in fairness...with your experience level and with score building as your goal, honestly I really don't care for a lot of usage on TWCs in the 1st place (Training Wheel Cards) the purpose again IMO is to build profile and score at that level....And nothing else.

Why?
Basically, because of what's going on with the OP
A person trying their best, I can tell, but this credit thing again IMO should be built with the training wheels on, especially when income and cashflow is at a premium...such that one can't clean up all those 'little' balances.

Too much effort, asserted behind this small ball stuff before you even get a chance to play in the majors.

Look at your real scores....Even with the mistakes and youre averaging right near 600, imagine what it'd be w/o the debt ratios and 1% error...that should make you proud, you can see how with just a few tweaks and BAM you're smelling nice and looking good 😎

Normally, I'd poo poo yet another loan...
However, in case my question would be do you have the ability to KILL the CC debt?

IMO, you just can't be carrying CC, allowing it to revolve as you slow pay it...too expensive, too big a drag during score building time.
(Let's be honest....It's one thing to have 'real' CC to 'have to' pay down slow but we can't get caught up, while playing ball at THIS level of CLs...You're just begging to be stuck in the 'special-needs' level...This is NOT where to let things get so far out of hand, at this level you just can't show you 'need' to use high % of debt...Cries I'm broke or I have no clue how to manage HUNDREDS of dollars, thousands will LIKELY kill you, please don't do that to yourself, this early in the game)

That being said IF you can't pay that crap away
The loan with 0% will erase the debt ratio away from your revolving utilization AND allow you to ATTACK the debt...

But, debt should be treated like a horrible enemy to you right now, yet it appears IMO you've got too many accounts with payments here and there....

Yes, I'm suggesting another loan...again only as a tool as need to SMASH that CC debt if you can't do it within the next 2 paychecks....

At this moment, the 'cute' rules and gamesmanship we have regarding % reporting and optimal this vs that becomes LESS important, when DEBT us out of control for the profile in question....

Again, once you can get a handle on the ability to completely control what you put on those CCs for 'effect' not for actual usage or need...Then the 'staging' game of this % and that % can be played and mastered, right now you've gotta get the debt and cashflow game down pact or the rest of this ish doesn't matter.

Most ppl who've read my post here know how I feel about playing with FIRE with these low limit cards = Don't do it

This the card doesn't have a comma (meaning a G) we're baby stepping NOT 'using' credit to actually 'buy' ish really?
Until the 1st digit is at least a 5... We're in the rookie game NOT the All-Star game, play at the level you're at but remember the rings and Hall of Fame can't be qualified for at this level STOP trying to make Venice Beach or Rucker Park the NBA or you'll never make it to the show.

You're doing great, just slow down the usage of debt you really IMO should NOT put any spend on those CCs except a tank of has a month...that's it and pay those loans the freak off

You can't possibly NEED or HAVE to borrow a few hundred dollars EVERY month, right?
So why for the love of G are carrying debt % on toy limit cards?
Makes no sense, other than showing THIRST or LOST and both denote RISK
Not what you want to assert nor do you want to be over your head, again if you can't erase that level of debt completely within the next 2 paychecks= way too much debt...Stop the madness before you get caught with your pants way down.

Sincerely, the best of luck
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight.

The only debt that can't be paid in a moments notice is the repo that is only showing on TU approx 8k.

My current CC's can PIF every pay period, and generally always do however in the past not before statement date.

The personal loan, and flex LOC could be PIF within 2 pay periods. Is there any advantage to PIF vs scheduled payments to build length? 0 interest.

Message 8 of 10
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies!

While reading other threads I went to CCT and took advantage of the $1 offer and wow the differences vs CK are amazing, scores show 586eq 604tu 592eq.

I'm not concerned with the 2nd pull as much as "do they already see my high utilization and the new #'s wont matter" but I think I see that answered here and elsewhere, utilization has no "history". I based the timing on when CK showed reported dates, that also coincide w/ statment dates. Good call though no reason to rush it.

The flex loan is labled as FLEX LOC - CU described it as a CC without a physical card.

Both this, and the other personal loan mentioned are from a Local CU that have a partnership w/ my employer and offer them at 0%. I am eligible today for another $1500 loan as it is based on calendar year. 

The QS is 3 months this statement, I intended to request CLI after statement.

Credit one is also 3 months this statement - after being approved for this (my first unsecured cc) I immediately applied/approved for the QS.

Secured cap 1 is perfect history, I put $100 down for $200 CL, at 6mo auto cli $500.

Utilization has been high since starting, I horribly misunderstood statement date vs due date. I was using the card(s) daily reaching max quickly, paying it off and respending, paying, respending, etc. Cycle comes out w/ say $367/500 (Current QS statment 2/13) yet balanace due 0 with $420 available CL. Working hard to keep myself down! Smiley Happy

Also during the past 12mo, especially the past 3 months, I have had quite a few collection/past debts removed.

2 different repos, divorced in late 2010 court ordered to provide ex with vehicle. 

Thanks for clarifying the 1% reporting - I will make payments now for both the Cap1 secured & credit one. Should I bring the QS from 6% as planned to 1% or is anything under X acceptable?

Thanks again,

What is this CCT, you speak of?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditCheckTotal - for $1 you can get your true fico 8 scores from all 3 agencies for 7 days - cancel via automated phone before 7 days to avoid 29.99/mo charge. 

Or something like that atleast! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.