cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New policy at Target Visa for payment posting?

tag
LJLediting

New policy at Target Visa for payment posting?

This is my first time delurking after getting a lot of useful advice on these boards. I'm writing because I encountered a problem last week with my Target Visa, which I've had for 10 years (it was initially a Target store card and was converted to a Visa about 5 years ago) and I have a good payment history. I paid my bill online on Dec 5 (more than the minimum, but I'm carrying about a $6300 balance). The payment was credited the same day, same as always, and I expected the money to become available the following day, as always. I thought maybe it was because the next day was a Saturday (though that was never an issue before). The following Monday, the money was gone from my checking account but the Target credit line had still not opened up. I called on Tuesday and spoke to a less-than-reassuring customer service rep, who told me to check again "in a couple days." I asked if it was a new policy since it had never been an issue before. I got a vague non-answer, so I hung up, resigned. I took "a couple days" to mean "two," so I checked back on Thursday. Still nothing. Wouldn't be a big deal if not for the fact that my husband and I are freelancers and we're both fighting for payment from three separate clients for about $6K, and we need to know the credit is available so we can do some Christmas shopping.

I called again on Friday night after there was no change in my account summary, and again got an unhelpful CSR. "Check again in a couple days." I pressed him some more, sensing a bit of a language barrier, and he said something to suggest that my bank hadn't cleared my payment. Now, I went through an ordeal a couple months ago when my bank (Commerce) merged (with TD Bank) and stopped crediting all my deposits for 3 weeks. Ironically, my Target payment was one of the few that was not delayed or bounced as a result of those issues, but I asked the CSR if I should hang up and go yell at my bank since the money had been debited from my checking. Another non-answer. I asked to speak to his supervisor. After getting more runaround, I asked if she could pin down a date when the money would be available and if she couldn't, would she please transfer me to someone who could. "No one who works here would be able to tell you that." HUH??!!! I asked how they could hold me to a policy that isn't written down somewhere for someone to recite back to me. Then she says, "It can take anywhere from 1 to 15 days to become available but I can't tell you when during that time YOURS will be available." Fifteen days? I asked if that was a policy change since I never had to wait any longer than 24 hours. "You can pay with cash in the store and it will be available immediately, but this applies to check payments." Um, that's not going to help me now. Not to mention that I paid online, which never appeared to be treated like a check payment before. "Things are changing because of the economy." No kidding---she didn't have to tell me. Yet she couldn't clarify for me whether there had been a specific change there.

Has anyone else encountered recent difficulties with Target? To add insult to injury, I got a notice the other day informing me that they're increasing my APR to 24.99%. Happy holidays!  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DI
Super Contributor

Re: New policy at Target Visa for payment posting?

I have the Target card and never had a problem with them.  My payments always processed the same day when paying during weekdays before 5pm. 

Did you have a check to returned?  That is one of the reasons any bank would do an RJ.  

Message Edited by DI on 12-13-2009 07:32 PM
Message 2 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LJLediting wrote:

This is my first time delurking after getting a lot of useful advice on these boards. I'm writing because I encountered a problem last week with my Target Visa, which I've had for 10 years (it was initially a Target store card and was converted to a Visa about 5 years ago) and I have a good payment history. I paid my bill online on Dec 5 (more than the minimum, but I'm carrying about a $6300 balance). The payment was credited the same day, same as always, and I expected the money to become available the following day, as always. I thought maybe it was because the next day was a Saturday (though that was never an issue before). The following Monday, the money was gone from my checking account but the Target credit line had still not opened up. I called on Tuesday and spoke to a less-than-reassuring customer service rep, who told me to check again "in a couple days." I asked if it was a new policy since it had never been an issue before. I got a vague non-answer, so I hung up, resigned. I took "a couple days" to mean "two," so I checked back on Thursday. Still nothing. Wouldn't be a big deal if not for the fact that my husband and I are freelancers and we're both fighting for payment from three separate clients for about $6K, and we need to know the credit is available so we can do some Christmas shopping.

I called again on Friday night after there was no change in my account summary, and again got an unhelpful CSR. "Check again in a couple days." I pressed him some more, sensing a bit of a language barrier, and he said something to suggest that my bank hadn't cleared my payment. Now, I went through an ordeal a couple months ago when my bank (Commerce) merged (with TD Bank) and stopped crediting all my deposits for 3 weeks. Ironically, my Target payment was one of the few that was not delayed or bounced as a result of those issues, but I asked the CSR if I should hang up and go yell at my bank since the money had been debited from my checking. Another non-answer. I asked to speak to his supervisor. After getting more runaround, I asked if she could pin down a date when the money would be available and if she couldn't, would she please transfer me to someone who could. "No one who works here would be able to tell you that." HUH??!!! I asked how they could hold me to a policy that isn't written down somewhere for someone to recite back to me. Then she says, "It can take anywhere from 1 to 15 days to become available but I can't tell you when during that time YOURS will be available." Fifteen days? I asked if that was a policy change since I never had to wait any longer than 24 hours. "You can pay with cash in the store and it will be available immediately, but this applies to check payments." Um, that's not going to help me now. Not to mention that I paid online, which never appeared to be treated like a check payment before. "Things are changing because of the economy." No kidding---she didn't have to tell me. Yet she couldn't clarify for me whether there had been a specific change there.

Has anyone else encountered recent difficulties with Target? To add insult to injury, I got a notice the other day informing me that they're increasing my APR to 24.99%. Happy holidays!  

Welcome to the forums!

From what you state above I would conclude that your account is under scrutiny. A "good payment history" as in never late with the issuer is not generally good enough these days. All accounts everywhere are reviewed constantly for strength of payment (and something like 5% to 6% of balance is considered good), UTIL % and your CBR softed for signs of deterioration of your credit standing. If anything is detected to be outside acceptable thresholds actions like those you mention (RJ and delayed availability of credit) may be imposed. If this was my account I would interpret those actions as a sign.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Target store card and pay via online banking through my bank or directly through their website which is debited from checking. My payment posts immediately via the website and is available. My online banking takes 1 day to transmit electronically, however the limit is usually reflected within 2 days.

I posted a few weeks ago about getting a mailer for the Target store card APR going up. Have had the card for 2 yrs (had a Target account previously through Marshall Fields also) and always paid on time. I just assumed it was a sign of the times.

@LJLediting wrote:

Message 4 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Target may have had a general APR hike as well. When they start doubling up on their attacks (such as a general APR hike and a withhold of available credit) it is a sign. I'd be looking to get my UTIL down before there was a CLD, too!
Message 5 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

Target also engages in CLD if they feel you no longer need the credit line.  My limit was decreased to $1000 from $1500 in 2008.  In July 2009, I sent a message to decrease my limit to $500 since I almost never use the card.  If it wasn't my oldest card, it would be closed for sure. 
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are having the same issue. I paid off our target visa account with a cashier's check from my bank for $7263.40 on the 10th of January and that money is still not available. Today it is the 19th so I see they told you between 1 to 15 days. I am just going to hold off and see what happens. It is frustrating that a person pays their bills on time and then have no access to this account for up to 15 days if they would need it. We don't need it at the moment but one never knows. Makes me want to cancel the account actually. We have a cabela's card and make our payment immediately to them and we always have the money right away and we use a check for that all the time.

Message 7 of 9
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

They've been holding my payments for 15 days since at least the beginning of this year. Never really carried a balance, so I don't know when this practice started, until one day my wife went to target and got declined! Seems like a new policy, and it only hurts them in my opinion. The money goes out of my account within 48hrs, but not available for 10-15 days. 

Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forums, dbgrad and cardslayer!

Just wanted to point out that this thread is from 2009.

Interesting that Target might have started doing this again.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.