Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Amex - Balance on 1st statement? Please advise

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

New to Amex - Balance on 1st statement? Please advise

I have the Amex Preffered card.   I made 2 charges on the card so far.  The first charge I paid off.   The second charge I went to pay off and Amex will not allow a 2nd payment before the first statment cuts??  They said the only way I could make a payment is through my bank, but that could take up to 3-5 days.   I don't think it would make the statement cute date.

My statement cuts in 2 days and will now have 5% utilization on it.  Will this affect my 3X CLI a the 61 day mark?   I've read so many people say that the first two statments should have a "0" balance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: New to Amex - Balance on 1st statement? Please advise

New to AMEX too but I haven't heard that and it shouldn't make a difference.

All my statements (including the first one) have had a balance on them and I didn't have a problem getting a CLI

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@glamchick wrote:

I have the Amex Preffered card.   I made 2 charges on the card so far.  The first charge I paid off.   The second charge I went to pay off and Amex will not allow a 2nd payment before the first statment cuts??  They said the only way I could make a payment is through my bank, but that could take up to 3-5 days.   I don't think it would make the statement cute date.

My statement cuts in 2 days and will now have 5% utilization on it.  Will this affect my 3X CLI a the 61 day mark?   I've read so many people say that the first two statments should have a "0" balance.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Amex limits the number of payments that new users can make until they verify your payment sources.  Carrying a balance will not affect your chances at the 3X CLI.  No idea where you read that the first two statements have to be $0 to get a CLI but it's not true at all.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

People have some crazy ideas. I paid my card after the statement with about 15%-30% utilization reported for every mo before I received my 3x CLI. Amex knows how much you spent anyway why would they care if it reported or not. The CLI is based on a lot of factors, I am sure a $0 bal is not one of them.
Message 4 of 5
glamchick
Established Contributor

Awesome!!!   Thank you for your responses, I am so happy now!!!

Yeah I guess you cant believe everything you read on the internet LOL.

But thanks again!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.