cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Barclays anything i should know?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to Barclays anything i should know?

and you just mentioned you wanted to open yet another store card

Message 11 of 33
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

I'm sure someone has me beat for store cards lol I've seen some people have way more than 15. Someone mentioned they opened 15 or more accounts in 6 months

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow for high 500-low 600 score you did pretty good with barclays. They denied me for the rewards card last year with score about 630, and only one baddie (electricity lates). If you garden with the cards you have now & use responsibly, your scores will be much higher in 6months! Great job!
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a car repo while a long time barclay's customer. My score tanked hard and i never had AA. I saw 24.99 balance transfer offers while under 620 range LOL but never a CLD or anything bad. Treat your new CARDS well, be a model citizen with it, no worries. Remember a SP/HP isnt just that company looking at your account, it's them checking out all your account patterns.

Message 14 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

HI All,

I am new to Barclays  see they are sensative to opening any new accounts after you open theirs.  I am okay with that because i have 4 major cards now and 15 store cards.  I recently closed Finger Hut. Anything i should know about their sensativity?  I am basically gardening right now.  I would love to hear any tips for suggestions.  I know most are to pay more than the minimum or PIF.

They're sensitive to recently opened accounts and to new inquiries. So if your plan is to garden at this point, you're doing the right thing vis a vis Barclays.

As to handling of the account they like to see you make use of the card, and pay it down.

They seem to do a 6 month review for CLI.

Don't do a luv button CLI request, it's always a hard pull on your TU report.

ok yes thanks for the tip.   So used to hitting the love button with captial one.  I dont really need another account to manage right now. Trying to get a better credit score anyway to get a newer model car. I can wait to get another card. Would 6 months be a good time frame if i wanted to app?

6 months seems to be the consensus among MyFICO forum members as to what is a good waiting period

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 15 of 33
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@sparklerd34 wrote:

I am new to Barclays  see they are sensative to opening any new accounts after you open theirs.

It really all depends on one's credit profile and what Barclaycard is comfortable with that given profile.  Be very careful with such broad generalizations.

@sparklerd34 wrote:

I know most are to pay more than the minimum or PIF.

The minimum doesn't mean anything aside from the least required to keep the account current.  One should aim to PIF to avoid paying interest and incurring debt.  Focus on utiilization, not minimum payment.

Message 16 of 33
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow for high 500-low 600 score you did pretty good with barclays. They denied me for the rewards card last year with score about 630, and only one baddie (electricity lates). If you garden with the cards you have now & use responsibly, your scores will be much higher in 6months! Great job!

Yes I have been working really hard to turn my credit profile around. I graduated with my masters last year and ever since ive focued on improving my credit.They sent me the preapproval so it wasnt a cold app which is nice. You know it doesnt makes sense in some cases at all with how they choose. SMH.

Message 17 of 33
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a car repo while a long time barclay's customer. My score tanked hard and i never had AA. I saw 24.99 balance transfer offers while under 620 range LOL but never a CLD or anything bad. Treat your new CARDS well, be a model citizen with it, no worries. Remember a SP/HP isnt just that company looking at your account, it's them checking out all your account patterns.

I agree I treat them like GOLD.  I dont want to be on bad credit side of life anymore.   Its a good feeling when they reach out to you rather than you reaching out to them

Message 18 of 33
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

and you just mentioned you wanted to open yet another store card

I did indeed and i also said i changed my mind.. i can do that cant i or is that not allowed lol

Message 19 of 33
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

I am new to Barclays  see they are sensative to opening any new accounts after you open theirs.

It really all depends on one's credit profile and what Barclaycard is comfortable with that given profile.  Be very careful with such broad generalizations.

@sparklerd34 wrote:

I know most are to pay more than the minimum or PIF.

The minimum doesn't mean anything aside from the least required to keep the account current.  One should aim to PIF to avoid paying interest and incurring debt.  Focus on utiilization, not minimum payment.

i do that now with my other cards. Every now and then i may carry a balance for a couple of week but otherwise im always making payments.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.