cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit: Advice on 6 month mark with Capital Secured Mastercard?!?

tag
thecritic3977

New to Credit: Advice on 6 month mark with Capital Secured Mastercard?!?

I am new to credit at the age of 30. I have always used cash, check, & debit over the years. I currently have a Capital One Secured Mastercard with 6 months history. Recently my girlfriend added me as an authorized user on her Discover with 3 years 5 months history. This makes my new AAoA 1 year 11 months. $7,000 credit available. 4% utilization. Credit Karma score of 733.

What should I do next? I want to get an unsecured credit with no AF of my own which i can keep for the long haul. I do not want to keep the Capital One past the 11th month as it has a $29 annual fee, low $300 limit, & will never graduate apparently.

Thank you very much,

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New to Credit: Advice on 6 month mark with Capital Secured Mastercard?!?

@thecritic3977 wrote:

I am new to credit at the age of 30. I have always used cash, check, & debit over the years. I currently have a Capital One Secured Mastercard with 6 months history. Recently my girlfriend added me as an authorized user on her Discover with 3 years 5 months history. This makes my new AAoA 1 year 11 months. $7,000 credit available. 4% utilization. Credit Karma score of 733.

What should I do next? I want to get an unsecured credit with no AF of my own which i can keep for the long haul. I do not want to keep the Capital One past the 11th month as it has a $29 annual fee, low $300 limit, & will never graduate apparently.

Thank you very much,

Chase, Barclays, Your local CU, a few national CUs as well is what I would do.

Message 2 of 9
thecritic3977

Are Chase & Barclays receptive as to considering my AU Discover account as actual age? I'd hate to waste a HQ & be declined as my own age is a mere 6 months. My Credit Union offers a non-rewards Mastercard & my secondary bank offers no credit cards.

Message 3 of 9
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@thecritic3977 wrote:

Are Chase & Barclays receptive as to considering my AU Discover account as actual age? I'd hate to waste a HQ & be declined as my own age is a mere 6 months. My Credit Union offers a non-rewards Mastercard & my secondary bank offers no credit cards.

Try preapproval sites first.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 4 of 9
thecritic3977

Chase:

We are unable to locate any special credit card offers for you at this time.

This may be because you have opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and other companies or you have recently responded to another offer from Chase.

However, we may still have products to meet your needs. Please continue to chase.com.

Barclays:

Based on your information, these products might interest you.

Recommended
Barclaycard Rewards
  • Earn 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries and utilities*
  • 1 point per dollar on all other purchases*
  • 0% intro APR for 12 months on Purchases. After that, a variable APR, currently 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%*
  • No Annual Fee*
  • Earn 5,000 bonus points with first use or balance transfer*

Additional products

Barclaycard Arrival

• Earn 2X miles on travel and dining purchases*
  • 1X miles on all other purchases*
  • 0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases. After that, a variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%*
  • 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days*. (That's enough miles for a $200 statement credit when you redeem for travel)
  • Get 10% miles back when you redeem for travel*

Barclaycard Ring
  • Low 8% variable APR*
  • No Balance Transfer fees*
  • No Annual Fee*
  • Access to unique Giveback program and online community*

Amex:

Selected Cards
American Express® Gold Card
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card

Just tried 3 pre-approval sites. Nothing from Chase, but Barclays & AMEX put up some offers at least. Think i have a decent chance with BCP or Arrival?

Message 5 of 9
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Citi and Discover also have prequals.

Can the cap1 secured card be converted? Did you try checking for offers on the account?
Message 6 of 9
thecritic3977

Citi didn't have any pre-qualified offers for me. I was just added as an AU on my girlfriend's Discover IT (info has posted to Credit Karma, but the physical card has yet to arrive).

From everything I've read on various forums my Capital One Secured will never graduate into an unsecured card. I really don't mind that it doesn't graduate as i only have a $49 deposit tied up with a $300 limit, but I really don't want to keep it indefinitely since it has a $29 annual fee. If I could get the EO to remove the annual fee I would be more than happy to keep it active & grow it's age. I checked the "Offers" page on my account & none were available currently.

FYI...I really appreciate everyone's help that has replied back. Such a friendly knowledgeable forum.

Message 7 of 9
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

I would definitely apply for the AMEX and Discover.

If your interested in a Charge Card apply for the PRG for sure. Then apply for a Blue Cash (Old), BCP, or BCE for the two for one HP special that AMEX sometimes gives.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 8 of 9
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

ymmv but i would wait till just past 6 month mark and app for capitol one quicksilver (the one for average credit) then 6 months later i would app for barclay rewards. bewteen not and then i would keep utilization under 30%, 10% preferably and let the rest play itself out.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.