cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit Cards

tag
jman9412

New to Credit Cards

Hi, I'm a college student and I just started looking into credit cards. I applied for 3 different cards, because I didn't know if I would be approved for any of them. I've since read that that probably wasn't such a smart thing to do. I've been approved for two of the cards, still waiting on the third. The cards I applied for are the Capital One Journey Student Rewards Card (approved), the Discover it Student Card (approved), and the State Farm Student Visa (pending). Opinions on what I should do? Should I keep the cards I'm approved for and just use them wisely (I'm not planning on carrying a balance)? Or should I pick one card and cancel any others (How will canceling a card hurt my infantile credit score?) I'm approved for?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: New to Credit Cards

@jman9412 wrote:

Hi, I'm a college student and I just started looking into credit cards. I applied for 3 different cards, because I didn't know if I would be approved for any of them. I've since read that that probably wasn't such a smart thing to do. I've been approved for two of the cards, still waiting on the third. The cards I applied for are the Capital One Journey Student Rewards Card (approved), the Discover it Student Card (approved), and the State Farm Student Visa (pending). Opinions on what I should do? Should I keep the cards I'm approved for and just use them wisely (I'm not planning on carrying a balance)? Or should I pick one card and cancel any others (How will canceling a card hurt my infantile credit score?) I'm approved for?

Welcome to the forum 

Don't cancel any cards!!!!!! 

Congrats on your new cards use them always PIF as best you can and have 1 card report a balance between 1-9%

Continue doing this for 1 year and don't apply for any new credit during that time and you will reap the benefits of a good credit profile

As far as State Farms card other will have to chime in ....not sure if you can recon 

Again congrats you're off to a great startSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Do no close your cards! Being approved at your stage is a great thing. Keep them open and use them just like you would a debit card, basically only buying things you could pay cash for. Pay the balance in full each month and over time request credit limit increases whenever you can.

Congrats!

Message 3 of 6
eagles08
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@jman9412 wrote:

Welcome to the forum 

Don't cancel any cards!!!!!! 

Congrats on your new cards use them always PIF as best you can and have 1 card report a balance between 1-9%

Continue doing this for 1 year and don't apply for any new credit during that time and you will reap the benefits of a good credit profile

As far as State Farms card other will have to chime in ....not sure if you can recon 

Again congrats you're off to a great startSmiley Wink

+1.  Looks like you're off to a great start!  Keep those balances that are reported less than 10% of your limits and hang on tight! Make your payments on time and in a year you'll be in a decent credit situation.  I actually pay off my cards every week because I now hate having a balance!  BTW it is ok to have a balance greater than 10% just find out when your statement cuts and pay it down to les than 10% the day before, thatll be the balance reported! 

AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 4 of 6
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

+1 to what everyone said.

Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

You have received excellent advice and I encourage you to follow it- ESP the no new apps. Your cr profile is new and you are on your way. The temptation to keep apping will be strong. Only app for cc's you need and pace yourself.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.