cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit - Which CC? Discover Student Application ?

tag
ficochat
New Contributor

New to Credit - Which CC? Discover Student Application ?

Hi - My son is 19 and headed off to college in the fall.  I would like to help him establish his credit.  He has been receiving mail for Discover student card.  He applied and they called and said his school (a community college) does not meet their requirements even though he will be living on campus and a full time student.  They have stated they would be happy to approve him for a regular Discover card with a co-applicant.  He received a letter from them stating he has 20 days to get a co-applicant or his application will not be approved.  His score listed on the letter was 719 Transunion.  Reason for denial is "no credit file".

What is the best course of action?  Are there any cards he might qualify for on his own?  He works part time.  Would he possibly qualify for an AMEX Zync or other similar card or would his results be the same for all cards? 

Should I just add him to my cards and wait a year for him to try again when history shows up?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: New to Credit - Which CC? Discover Student Application ?

Fico,

Is your son earning income?  With the card act, it made getting college cards harder.  If he is earning any sort of income, he should qualify for student card.  There are several he can apply to and local CUs also often have college student cards.  Although I think he will need to be enrolled full time before applying.

As for adding him as AU, I think you should do this in any case.  If you have AMEX charge card, add him (charge card utilizations don't count for the most part).  If you have old cards you don't use a lot, add him to those.  Careful about adding him to card with a lot of use unless you are managing the reported utilization on that card.  It is likely that any card you actively use will have a higher limit than he can get anytime in the near future, so the AU card's utilization will "overwhelm" and determine his total utilization.  Hence my suggestions.  Of course, just because he is AU doesn't mean you should give him the actual card to use.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 5
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Hi. I think your son should apply for a secured credit. Many banks offer them and within a year they graduate and become unsecured. That's how I started establishing credit and my credit has been growing little by little. Also I'm surprised your son didn't qualify for the Discover student card. I too go to a community college and I was approved for 2500. But a secured card is a great way to establish credit.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 3 of 5
ficochat
New Contributor

Hi, he does work part time about 30 hrs per week now as as a store cashier.  Not sure how many hours he will work while in school (if any).  Maybe easiest route would be adding him to my cards rather than him trying to get his own.  I don't want to have him get a bunch of needless inquirires.

Message 4 of 5
ficochat
New Contributor

Hi. I think your son should apply for a secured credit. Many banks offer them and within a year they graduate and become unsecured. That's how I started establishing credit and my credit has been growing little by little. Also I'm surprised your son didn't qualify for the Discover student card. I too go to a community college and I was approved for 2500. But a secured card is a great way to establish credit.

I might have him call when I am with him as I was surprised about this as well.  Not sure why it wouldn't meet their criteria?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.