cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit, what should I get next?

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: New to Credit, what should I get next?

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Chase and it said I need to wait. I think I'm going to call them up later to get a recon (technically it's not even denied yet).

But I did get denied for the AMEX BCE. I'm hoping they are open to recon, if not I'll try going for the ZYNC card since I am the demographic they are marketing it towards.

Thanks guys!

AMEX does not do recon, and you should've app ZYNC before BCE. You now need to wait at least 30 days before you can apply an AMEX card.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my... *sigh* I should call in at least to see my options perhaps or their reasons on why my card was rejected to see if I should even bother applying for the ZYNC atm.

But on a positive note, I call in Chase and they told me the app was initially denied but after verifying some informations it's been approved Smiley Very Happy THANK YOU MYFICO FORUMS!! I would've never figured out that there was a recon number.

Now it's time to close my Wells Fargo Secured if they don't graduate me by September. I'm sick of paying AF for shuddy benefits.

Message 22 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh my... *sigh* I should call in at least to see my options perhaps or their reasons on why my card was rejected to see if I should even bother applying for the ZYNC atm.

But on a positive note, I call in Chase and they told me the app was initially denied but after verifying some informations it's been approved Smiley Very Happy THANK YOU MYFICO FORUMS!! I would've never figured out that there was a recon number.

Now it's time to close my Wells Fargo Secured if they don't graduate me by September. I'm sick of paying AF for shuddy benefits.

That's not the only thing to consider on the WF secured card: in this case you're paying a AF for a revolving tradeline on your credit report.  Leave it open until you establish at least one more card besides just the Freedom (major congrats on that btw!) as you're still thinnish history.  People on this forum tend to devalue length of individual tradelines as they mostly look at revolving utilization and AAoA; however, payment history is still king, and tradeline seasoning is a non-trivial benefit as well.

        
Message 23 of 27
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the approval! Did they tell you the limit?

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 24 of 27
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Congrats on Chase approval.  Don't bother with BCE denial just give it some time.  wait a year and try for Zinc.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate: If I end up getting the AMEX Zync then I don't think I'll need another card with an AF. And based on Wells Fargo's stance, I don't think they'll ever uprade me until my greencard goes through next year but I'll have to pay another $25... *sigh* I'll be forever stuck with a $500 credit limit and $25 AF. Unfortunately, this is my oldest card by about 2 months.

The lady said she put a note in my file that she "recommends" a $500 CL, which I think can only go up with time since my income is practically non-existent at the moment. Nonetheless I think by the end of the year I'll keep my utilization even lower and attempt for the ZYNC card. 

Thanks so much guys!

Message 26 of 27
cschick_old
Established Member

When i was in college the only unsecured Credit Card I could get approved for was a Discover More card(with no history), they gave me a pretty low limit ($250 or $500 don't remember) but they consistently grew it up to 1750 by graduation with no prompting from me. It's not the best rewards card ever but they'd probably approve you and give you increases as long as you use the card and pay on time.

FICO: Ex 782(AMEX)
Cards: Amex BCE(2500), Discover(2500), Target (500)
App'd Amex & Target Jul 2012, Gardening til 2013 or beyond
Goals: Visa or MC Rewards Card after first home (2014-2015)
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.