cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit with Discover Pre-Approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to Credit with Discover Pre-Approval?

Hi all!
I'm a newbie to the forums and to credit. I am looking to build my credit history, but that is proving much easier said than done. The more I learn about how income factors into your ability to get credit, the more discouraged I become. So, I was really surprised when I saw that I was pre-approved for a Discover card. (Yes, I am pretty sure it was a legit pre approval. I went to the card builder, entered all of my info, and then it said "Congratulations, you have been pre-approved!") Considering my income and credit history, the card looks pretty good. 13.99% apr. 0% for 6 mo. Should I apply? I'm not even sure if it's worth my time. I know that the soft pull doesn't show what your income is. Unfortunately, right now I only get about $10,000/year in disability payments. I am hoping that after I have more time to recover, I will be able to work/ go to school again. But, that should take a couple more years. I need a credit card soon because I will be moving into a new apartment and most of the moving companies in my area require a credit card.

A little more got my credit history:
3 yrs paying off student loans. Never missed a payment.
4k total loans
Low living expenses.
FAKO 680

So, is it worth my time and the hard pull?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: New to Credit with Discover Pre-Approval?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all!
I'm a newbie to the forums and to credit. I am looking to build my credit history, but that is proving much easier said than done. The more I learn about how income factors into your ability to get credit, the more discouraged I become. So, I was really surprised when I saw that I was pre-approved for a Discover card. (Yes, I am pretty sure it was a legit pre approval. I went to the card builder, entered all of my info, and then it said "Congratulations, you have been pre-approved!") Considering my income and credit history, the card looks pretty good. 13.99% apr. 0% for 6 mo. Should I apply? I'm not even sure if it's worth my time. I know that the soft pull doesn't show what your income is. Unfortunately, right now I only get about $10,000/year in disability payments. I am hoping that after I have more time to recover, I will be able to work/ go to school again. But, that should take a couple more years. I need a credit card soon because I will be moving into a new apartment and most of the moving companies in my area require a credit card.

A little more got my credit history:
3 yrs paying off student loans. Never missed a payment.
4k total loans
Low living expenses.
FAKO 680

So, is it worth my time and the hard pull?

You have a good file...but the issue might be with the income. $10,000 might be a little too low for a card approval. In addition, you have a very good loan/installment history but a lack of revolving history might also be an issue. If you can report any other income (compensation, child support, alimony, etc) to pass the $10,000-$14,000 income bracket you should apply. Discover has very good customer service and a good recon department. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Message 2 of 6
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! So, do you think I should try my luck and apply for the pre-approved card?

I only have one hard inquiry this year. It's from this month due to the apartment application, so nothing too bad.

I got a VS offer with a $500 limit. Didn't accept it because I don't really shop there, but it made me feel a little bit better because at least somebody wants to give me a little credit. That's a good sign, right?
Message 4 of 6
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks! So, do you think I should try my luck and apply for the pre-approved card?

I only have one hard inquiry this year. It's from this month due to the apartment application, so nothing too bad.

I got a VS offer with a $500 limit. Didn't accept it because I don't really shop there, but it made me feel a little bit better because at least somebody wants to give me a little credit. That's a good sign, right?

If you only have 1 inquiry I say go for it. The worst they can say is no and you stay exactly where you are with no drop in score or a very small drop. If they decline you (and decline a recon) go for a secured card. 

Message 5 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

+1

Discover has very lax standards. The Discover More was the first non-secured card I had which I applied for after receiving multiple pre-approved offers for the card in the mail. If you decide to apply, use this link: https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?pageFileId=cbb100&sc=KB8M&CMPGNID=gan_d... to get $100 bonus after $500 spending.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.