staccato

New to Credit with Discover Pre-Approval?

Hi all!
I'm a newbie to the forums and to credit. I am looking to build my credit history, but that is proving much easier said than done. The more I learn about how income factors into your ability to get credit, the more discouraged I become. So, I was really surprised when I saw that I was pre-approved for a Discover card. (Yes, I am pretty sure it was a legit pre approval. I went to the card builder, entered all of my info, and then it said "Congratulations, you have been pre-approved!") Considering my income and credit history, the card looks pretty good. 13.99% apr. 0% for 6 mo. Should I apply? I'm not even sure if it's worth my time. I know that the soft pull doesn't show what your income is. Unfortunately, right now I only get about $10,000/year in disability payments. I am hoping that after I have more time to recover, I will be able to work/ go to school again. But, that should take a couple more years. I need a credit card soon because I will be moving into a new apartment and most of the moving companies in my area require a credit card.

A little more got my credit history:
3 yrs paying off student loans. Never missed a payment.
4k total loans
Low living expenses.
FAKO 680

So, is it worth my time and the hard pull?
Frequent Contributor
CreditWorld2013

Re: New to Credit with Discover Pre-Approval?

[ Edited ]

staccato wrote:
Hi all!
I'm a newbie to the forums and to credit. I am looking to build my credit history, but that is proving much easier said than done. The more I learn about how income factors into your ability to get credit, the more discouraged I become. So, I was really surprised when I saw that I was pre-approved for a Discover card. (Yes, I am pretty sure it was a legit pre approval. I went to the card builder, entered all of my info, and then it said "Congratulations, you have been pre-approved!") Considering my income and credit history, the card looks pretty good. 13.99% apr. 0% for 6 mo. Should I apply? I'm not even sure if it's worth my time. I know that the soft pull doesn't show what your income is. Unfortunately, right now I only get about $10,000/year in disability payments. I am hoping that after I have more time to recover, I will be able to work/ go to school again. But, that should take a couple more years. I need a credit card soon because I will be moving into a new apartment and most of the moving companies in my area require a credit card.

A little more got my credit history:
3 yrs paying off student loans. Never missed a payment.
4k total loans
Low living expenses.
FAKO 680

So, is it worth my time and the hard pull?

You have a good file...but the issue might be with the income. $10,000 might be a little too low for a card approval. In addition, you have a very good loan/installment history but a lack of revolving history might also be an issue. If you can report any other income (compensation, child support, alimony, etc) to pass the $10,000-$14,000 income bracket you should apply. Discover has very good customer service and a good recon department. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Established Contributor
Cadillac-XTS

+1

staccato

Thanks! So, do you think I should try my luck and apply for the pre-approved card?

I only have one hard inquiry this year. It's from this month due to the apartment application, so nothing too bad.

I got a VS offer with a $500 limit. Didn't accept it because I don't really shop there, but it made me feel a little bit better because at least somebody wants to give me a little credit. That's a good sign, right?
Frequent Contributor
CreditWorld2013

[ Edited ]

staccato wrote:
Thanks! So, do you think I should try my luck and apply for the pre-approved card?

I only have one hard inquiry this year. It's from this month due to the apartment application, so nothing too bad.

I got a VS offer with a $500 limit. Didn't accept it because I don't really shop there, but it made me feel a little bit better because at least somebody wants to give me a little credit. That's a good sign, right?

If you only have 1 inquiry I say go for it. The worst they can say is no and you stay exactly where you are with no drop in score or a very small drop. If they decline you (and decline a recon) go for a secured card. 

Blogger
HiLine

+1

Discover has very lax standards. The Discover More was the first non-secured card I had which I applied for after receiving multiple pre-approved offers for the card in the mail. If you decide to apply, use this link: https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?pageFileId=cbb100&sc=KB8M&CMPGNID=gan_d... to get $100 bonus after $500 spending.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+