cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to board. Have a question.

tag
Bronyaur

New to board. Have a question.

I just joined today. myFico scores show Equifax 618 and Transunion 612. I have mortgage and a home equity loan. Both show several 30 day lates but are both paid up to date for the last 4 months. I paid off 2 car loans late last year. Those are the only 2 accounts I have. No credit cards, no revolving loans, etc.

My question is: Would it help improve my Fico if I opened a credit card? Do I have to use the card?

Thanks for the help.

Starting Score: TU:612--EQ:618
Current Score: TU:612--EQ:618
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DI
Super Contributor

Re: New to board. Have a question.

@Bronyaur wrote:

I just joined today. myFico scores show Equifax 618 and Transunion 612. I have mortgage and a home equity loan. Both show several 30 day lates but are both paid up to date for the last 4 months. I paid off 2 car loans late last year. Those are the only 2 accounts I have. No credit cards, no revolving loans, etc.

My question is: Would it help improve my Fico if I opened a credit card? Do I have to use the card?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forums?  Yes, having a credit card would add the mixture of credit FICO likes to see.  But you want to hold off applying for credit cards right now.  Your recent late payments on the mortgage and HELOC need to age.  Had you already had credit cards, the  banks probably would have reduced your credit lines or close the account because of the mortgage and HELOC trouble.  Write a goodwill letter to your lenders to remove the late payments.  But don't expect for them to remove legitimate lates.  If you can get someone to add you as a authorzie user on their account that may help.   Good luck!

Message Edited by DI on 02-11-2010 03:44 PM
Message 2 of 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: New to board. Have a question.

+1

Great answer, DI.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.