cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit and I have questions...HELP!

tag
MsMotivatedDiva40

New to credit and I have questions...HELP!

Good Morning! Smiley Happy

I have been lurking in the bushes for quite some time now just watching and learning and I must say I have learned a lot!  Today I’m coming out the bushes though because I need some advice on what I should do.

On Sunday I applied for the Discover It card after doing the pre-qualified application and of course got the 5 – 7 day message but I didn’t get the pop up to set up the account. I checked my status on Monday and it said they were still reviewing it.  Kept checking until yesterday morning I received an alert from Credit Sesame that they pulled my Equifax report…cool that means their looking but still no update.  Finally last night I couldn’t take it anymore and called to see if they needed anything.  I was transferred to a Sr. Analyst named Justin who was very kind by the way.  He only asked me a few questions of which one was why did I want to join the Discover family.  I can’t remember everything I said because I was nervous just trying to make sure I answered correctly but basically said I am trying to establish my own credit for myself and that I was interested in the 0% APR.  He said excellent and we talked about how long I been with my job and that I must love it because I been there awhile.  He said lets take a look at your report and get you approved.  “Welcome to Discover!”  whewwwww! Lol.  My CL is $750 and I was fine with that however after I thought about it, maybe I should have asked if they could at least make it $1,000?  Should I call back and ask?

Second question: I did the shopping cart trick for Buckle yesterday and wouldn’t you know it worked! Lol.  It popped up and said I was pre-approved for $1000 so I put my birthday and last 4 numbers in and then it came back with the 7 – 10 business days note and something like it could be a error on their part and will need to review it.  Does that mean they denied me or should I call them?

You all are great!!! I will no longer be in the bushes! Lol  Thanks in advance for al feed back!

New to credit! 4 months in so far.

Start: TU-732 EQ-701 EX-681
Current: TU-672 EQ-675 EX-678
Cards: Capital One -$500 Kohls - $300 Discover - $750
Goal: 750+ across the board
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Re: New to credit and I have questions...HELP!

Congratulations.

If you have about a year of credit history, I say go for the chase freedom as the 20k signup bonus won't last forever.

On a side note, the preapprovals from the shopping carts would never show me my preapproved credit limit....

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 2 of 8
MsMotivatedDiva40

Thank you!

No my history is about 4 months now and I currently have a Capital One and Kohl's.  Capital One I don't use at all because they have some type of fraud mess on their and want me to send in ID and SS card and I'm not going through all that but they report it every month as paid so whatever lol.  Kohls I've only paid twice and my utilization for that is at 15% which will go down after I pay today.

Message 3 of 8
MsMotivatedDiva40

Is that normal though for the shopping cart pop up to show you the amount you're pre-approved for?  It didn't say up to...it said $1000 so I'm just curious if I should call.

Message 4 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@MsMotivatedDiva40 wrote:

Thank you!

No my history is about 4 months now and I currently have a Capital One and Kohl's.  Capital One I don't use at all because they have some type of fraud mess on their and want me to send in ID and SS card and I'm not going through all that but they report it every month as paid so whatever lol.  Kohls I've only paid twice and my utilization for that is at 15% which will go down after I pay today.

You might have a real mess if you don't clear it up IMHO.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 8
MsMotivatedDiva40

Thanks.

I did, I spoke with them and asked them what if I don't send it and was told more than 3 times that it will report but I won't have access to it until I do.  It's nothing I did wrong or that there is anything on my reports that is wrong...from my understanding they do this to a lot of people at random.  The thing is I used the card about 4 times, small things and paid them right off.  I was out of town and went to use it for dinner and it declined Smiley Mad Anyway I'm not worried about them and will probably cut it up in about 3 months in hopes that I have something better in my wallet!

Message 7 of 8
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Why not just send them the documentation and have a tradeline that you can use? They can actually end up being very good to you. Search for  Cap One on these forums and see what they have done for people over time, if you're willing to put in a little work. Why lose that history with them? They are being cautious to protect you, not to punish you. You've mentioned that you are new to credit, and now is the best time to cultivate the accounts you have and treat them well. It will pay off for you big time in the end.

Also, you're going to find, as you continue on your credit journey that many of the card companies will ask you for documentation, income verification and other bits and pieces of things to establish trust and establish who you are. It is for their protection and yours. It isn't a bad thing! :-)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.