Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit cards, have a question

tag
CelleratorZero
New Visitor

New to credit cards, have a question

Hey everyone, hopefully this is the right place to ask, but I'm pretty new to credit cards, kind of avoided them because growing up they were "bad!" But since I'm older i believe its time to start building some credit.

I've never had one before and I was just wondering what would be the best starting card. I've been looking all weekend and I dont even know if i'd get it but the Discover it card seems alright. 

Anyway, like i said i was just curious what some good beginner cards would be. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: New to credit cards, have a question

I would pull your reports from annualcreditreport.com and make sure everything is in order (if you haven't done that already this year) and maybe buy a score here from myfico.

Cap1 might be a good starting point, but we'd really need to know more about what is on your reports. Any installment or car loans or mortgages? Any lates on anything? Any derogs at all?
Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum and yes this is the right place! A few questions first. What is on your cr profile? Any cr? Any baddies? Any inq's? Income? FICO scores? What are you looking for in a cc? Bonus, rewards, cash back? What do you spend money on? Groceries, travel, gas?
Message 3 of 5
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Ditto. Must see the lay of the terrain before you plot a course through it. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@CelleratorZero wrote:

Hey everyone, hopefully this is the right place to ask, but I'm pretty new to credit cards, kind of avoided them because growing up they were "bad!" But since I'm older i believe its time to start building some credit.

I've never had one before and I was just wondering what would be the best starting card. I've been looking all weekend and I dont even know if i'd get it but the Discover it card seems alright. 

Anyway, like i said i was just curious what some good beginner cards would be. 

Hi and Welcome to MyFICO forums!

I think it would be helpful if you posted a little about yourself!  Do you have a military affiliation?  Do you have other loans on your credit report, or any history at all?

Are you a member of a local Credit Union?

I find value for most newcomers to credit to go ahead and establish a relationship with a Credit Union. Open an a shares accounts, deposit some money, get a secured credit card or loan, and then just Wait for 6 months until you actually have a score.

Once you have a credit score, you can apply for the likes of Discover or any other basic credit card.  Navy Federal is an excellent CU to join if you have a parent, grandparent, or other family member that is either active duty or retired from the military.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.