cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit history, card suggestion

tag
thortor

New to credit history, card suggestion

Hi all, I'm new to credit score, didn't think about building my credit much up until now. I've had a secured boa 123 $500 for the past 6 months. Recently I got my FICO score of 719. I always pay off all my debt and monitor my usage diligently (through FICO, creditkarma and creditsesame). I know the latters are not true FICO but they are good tools to have to check my progress. But the one thing that all 3 reports have in common is how I only have 1 open credit line; and I don't have any other loans (cars, student loans, etc.) And they said that it could affect my score. So I'm just thinking of opening a new card to address that problem. Is it recommended? And if it is, what would be the card that you would recommend? I always pay my credit card in full and sometime 2 weeks before the statement date. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
370Z
Frequent Contributor

Re: New to credit history, card suggestion

Since you're pretty new to credit, I would proceed slowly. Don't do anything silly like go on an app spree. I recently found out my TU Fico score is 799, and I still wouldn't. Anyways, one more card would not be a bad idea. A good student rewards card is the Citi Forward, or based on your score, you have a decent shot for the ever popular Chase Freedom. Of course, you would need a minimal level of income for either. It sounds like you're doing a great job and are on your way to getting whatever card you want later on.

EQ8 817 (3/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 828 (4/24) EX9 848 (4/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 2 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I would suggest Comenity and GE Cards to you.  For best reporting, according to the info PDF at myFICO, you need 3-4 lines reporting for best results. 

The concept behind this is that it takes more skill to manage more than 2 accounts.  Basically you get rewarded for being able to budget your money better. 

Another aspect to consider is the AAOA (average age of accounts) and this means that the longer it is, the better you have proven the relationship.  Starting now it means that the sooner you have accounts, the better they can build and age.  This is important later for the better cards and companies at the best rates.  AAOA is important for a higher score.  Basically now you need to get some cards and not worry about the APR if you always PIF.  Don't plan on closing any account unless you must!  (I have and I both regret and feel good about it.)  For this reason you should only apply for cards that you will use often and have no fee. 

Comenity and GE can be easier to get and both are fairly good about CLIs.  I got a Walmart card at one point because of this.  It comes with a FICO score which updates every month, so this can be a good thing!  I think it started out with a $500 CL and is now at $2500 and I can probably get it up to much more if I try.  A gas card can be good because in many situations it will later become a Visa or MC and if you PIF each month and don't go inside the store to buy junk then you can probably get it built up fast.  Since it is something you use all the time and if you pay it off weekly then you can maintain your budget and give them good reason to increase the limit. 

You should make a list of three places you shop at a lot and 5 banks you want a major card from, try to be realistic and a little optimistic.  You should apply for the store cards first.  Better chance of approval.  The app spree and try first for the bank cards you think you can get.  Then the harder ones.  When you are done rest, relax and be happy.  Remember some products at some companies have harder restrictions for different cards.  Barclays and CapOne are known for this.  You might be able to find a good card from Barclays based on your credit profile. 

Make a six month plan, a one year plan, and a two year plan.  Try and stick to it.  I was a little hasty in my plan, but I got lucky and I was also strategic.  I did apply for some cards that I would probably have been better off if I had applied later.  Now I do know a bit about the error of my ways and the luck I had!  I also knew what to do to recon apps which weren't successful.  Build it up and do the right thing.

Good Luck.  Remember take it in steps.  It took me a total of 7 years to get what I have now.  Others have had a much easier time because of clean reports, but I still pretty darn good!  After leaving my secured card as the only card reporting for about 3 years I got Capone.  I then got Household and Marathon and Comenity Cards.  I then got Barclays, Walmart, and a few others.  Then I got Compass, Discover, and Chase.  Then I got Amex, PNC, and CapOne Signature card.  A little wave here in the pond, a little wave there, and while I am not at the best cards with the best rates, I know that will come. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I would try the OCU Duck Card or Beaver card..

I bet you'd get it. GL!

Message 4 of 16
thortor

wow, thanks guys for the responses. They are super helpful. Yes, I'm only planning to open 1 more for now so I can build up the age of my credit history. I looked into some CUs in my region, and they are somewhat tough to go since the last time I talked with them. But anyway, I tried to apply for a Costco Amex card just now and got instant approval. Is it a good sight to see? I did it because I shop at costco quite often and a friend of mine was able to sign up with several months ago. So I took my chances and voila, success. But I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind in the next 6 months or a year when my credit history is stronger.
Message 5 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Costco Amex is a terrific card and im glad to hear you're content with that for now. Have you found out the limit?
Message 6 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I am also big fan of Costco card 2% cash back on restaurants and travel isn't bad at atll

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 16
thortor

That's what I'm wondering too. I got approved and set up my account. But I don't see the credit limit anywhere. The account is not yet accessible for at least 24 hours. Is this normal? Or the limit will come with the card in the mail?
Message 8 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@thortor wrote:
That's what I'm wondering too. I got approved and set up my account. But I don't see the credit limit anywhere. The account is not yet accessible for at least 24 hours. Is this normal? Or the limit will come with the card in the mail?
Once you are approved, you can call in to get your credit limit 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your TE Amex approval!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.