Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to credit questions

i NEVER said he was applying for anything else so idk why thats even being discussed? i just found it amazing and hilarious that a guy with a 6 month credit history could be prequalifed for 3 amex cards.

also my question about wells fargo still hasnt been answered....

i know what gardening is but in my case ill be staying off here except to lurk for 6 months because i find the amount of judgement rediculous.. thought we were all supposed to be happy for each other...

Message 41 of 72
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i NEVER said he was applying for anything else so idk why thats even being discussed? i just found it amazing and hilarious that a guy with a 6 month credit history could be prequalifed for 3 amex cards.

also my question about wells fargo still hasnt been answered....

i know what gardening is but in my case ill be staying off here except to lurk for 6 months because i find the amount of judgement rediculous.. thought we were all supposed to be happy for each other...

IMHO I would stay away from Wells Fargo. Do a Google search about them. They have been caught doing some really shady and illegal things with their customers accounts over the last decade. Really a bad company to use and trust with your credit or money in my opinion.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 42 of 72
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a prequal for WF? that would be the only other one he cares about for the cell phone protection..though since he hadnt even gotten his paypal card yet ill leave it for awhile and see if he gets any offers from them

There isn't a pre-qual site for Wells Fargo credit cards, however if you have deposit or loan accounts with them you might get a credit card offer with a set APR on your dashboard... that's how I got my Propel Amex.

Many avoid Wells Fargo due to their recent new accounts scandal and that's certainly understandable.  I have been with them since my local branches were Wachovia, and many of the same people are still there so I'm not as concerned about their well-publicized issues.  Many other threads have elaborated on the scandal ad nauseum, and that's fine but I'll try to keep my post (and this thread) on the topic of their credit card offerings.

In my humble opinion, their credit cards are lack-luster and rather 'meh'... I only got mine to use for overdraft protection.  They are not known for being generous to rebuilders or people with new credit, and they have been known to be stingy even to those with solid profiles.  In addition, their rewards are generally sub-par relative to other issuers (which many around here would consider the final nail in the coffin.)  That said, if your SO has significant deposits with them that could have a positive influence on his approval chances and possibly even get him better terms (credit line, APR)... there are data points for this in multiple threads on here. 

I was a rebuilder myself not that long ago - just like many others on here - and I know first-hand how it feels when you finally start to see the light.  I know your SO isn't a rebuilder, but it's similar for someone just starting out.  It's easy to be overwhelmed with all the sudden, new opportunities and overlook the really good opportunities that are not that much further ahead if one is patient.  I'm not saying this describes you or your SO, just that the seasoned people on here have seen it a lot which is why some posts might seem less positive than you might have anticipated.

That said, you're doing a great job asking questions and getting the facts, which is half the battle.  Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you uncleb! i had no idea wells fargo had issues it was mostly about the cell phone protection 

bf doesnt care about amex, citi, chase or any of that... he got his $3000 paypal card and thats really all he cares about haha...he may try for an amazon card again in 6 months and possibly care credit... since he lives with a brain injury i think he should have his own... but otherwise hes not impressed by anything else.. me im counting the days till 5 years 1 month from my BK for amex LOL

it seriously seems like you cant even ask a question about a product without everyone assuming your applying for it.. i joined here because it seemed like a helpful place but i guess i didnt read enough posts.. i feel like all ive gotten so far is judgment 

Message 44 of 72
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you uncleb! i had no idea wells fargo had issues it was mostly about the cell phone protection 

bf doesnt care about amex, citi, chase or any of that... he got his $3000 paypal card and thats really all he cares about haha...he may try for an amazon card again in 6 months and possibly care credit... since he lives with a brain injury i think he should have his own... but otherwise hes not impressed by anything else.. me im counting the days till 5 years 1 month from my BK for amex LOL

it seriously seems like you cant even ask a question about a product without everyone assuming your applying for it.. i joined here because it seemed like a helpful place but i guess i didnt read enough posts.. i feel like all ive gotten so far is judgment 

I'm sorry things got off to a bumpy start, but don't give up on us yet.  There's an assumption that when somebody asks about a card they are at least somewhat interested in applying for it, although I can see how your situation is unique.

That said, you'll find many good people hanging out in the Garden Club thread... we talk about all sorts of things there, but no credit app or approval talk is permitted (there's the whole forum for that, after all... LOL). 

The people over in the 'Garden' want to hang out but are refraining from applying for new accounts... some are working towards a new house or car, some are working to put themselves in a better position for a 'goal' card, and some are there just because they don't need/want additional credit but still enjoy hanging out.  It's a place to talk about improving credit scores, met goals, and just about anything... there are good people there, and you'll probably find some who have experience with what you're going though as well.

Before you take your long break at least give the Garden thread a look... I think you'll find it a neat place to hang out.  Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for that.. since its currently the september ill thread ill wait for october

its so hard not to apply for everything! you guys have all kinds of crazy cards lol

Message 46 of 72
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you for that.. since its currently the september ill thread ill wait for october

its so hard not to apply for everything! you guys have all kinds of crazy cards lol

I would like to apologize if any of us seemed too negative but I would also like for you to know why that may have happened.

Your SO bought the Snap-On toolbox using their credit for $3000. That threw up so many red flags to people here because in all honesty that is/was a very bad credit move. You also seemed a bit too enthusiastic about adding new credit. Now I know since then you have explained yourself and I can totally understand where you are coming from. Just keep in mind that some of us have been around these forums for a long time and have witnessed people come to these forums and received excellent advice on getting a whole lot of new cards and credit only to crash and burn a few months later because they didn't know how to handle the responsibility of all that new credit.

Some of us don't want to supply the rope that a person is going to use to hang themselves if you catch my drift. We didn't mean anything nasty or negative, we just wanted you to slow down and smell the roses of your recent success for a while.

I hope to see you around these forums for a long time!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 47 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

listen... bf did snapon and THEN texted me at work to tell me... so its done.. as i said he never had credit before this.. before his accident he was roofing making $100k/ year and paid cash for everything..so hes clueless about credit.....but again cant be too mad cause now hes got a $3000 paypal card ha... 

and since i always have to explain myself.. its not like hes going to max out the credit card.. he will only use it if i say so...

Message 48 of 72
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Another shoutout for the Gardening thread when you're ready! It's keeping me sane. We _do_ talk about pre-approvals; we call them "mulch" and celebrate shredding them. It is kinda cool to see how the quality of those solicitations goes up as accounts age. It's a  s l o w  process, this building/rebuilding, but the daily reinforcement in the Garden helps.

Hope to see ya there!

Message 49 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

since its titled “september” i assumed i couldnt join in the middle? either way ill wait till 10/1.. make it easier..ocd... haha

shredd preapprovals?! yikes!

Message 50 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.