Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to credit

Hi I just setup an account after creeping for over a year. A little history I just started building credit after being inspired by youtubers like asksebby and creditshifu. So 7 months ago I applied and got approved for my first four credit cards (i applied for them all the same day) Navy federal cash rewards 2k limit, capital one platinum 500 limit, navy federal Nrewards secured 500 deposit (this card got unsecured after 5 months and I recieved a new limit of 2k and got my deposit back then product changed to the NFCU gorewards), and the citi diamond secured card 200 deposit. I also got a secured loan from self lender during this time 12 months so I have 5 months left with them. After about 6 months credit history and after my nrewards graduated I got confident and applied and got approved for 3 more cards the Discover it 1k limit, NFCU morerewards amex 3.2k limit, and the walmart store card 500 limit. So before I got my first cards I had zero credit so far everything I have is on time and I pay everything off in full every month. I just have a few questions for everyone with more experience. How long do you recommend I garden until I apply for my first amex? obviousy im way over the chase 5/24 so i dont plan on having a chase anytime soon. Also do you think I got too many accounts too soon or am I off to a great start for a longterm credit building strategy. Thank you everyone!

Current fico version 8 scores

Experian 739

Equifax 712

transunion 712

I have no baddies experian only has 1 inquiry the other two both have 7 inquiries

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to credit

Forgot to mention I got offered to upgrade my cap1 platinum to a quicksilver after 6 months and I took that offer.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi I just setup an account after creeping for over a year. A little history I just started building credit after being inspired by youtubers like asksebby and creditshifu. So 7 months ago I applied and got approved for my first four credit cards (i applied for them all the same day) Navy federal cash rewards 2k limit, capital one platinum 500 limit, navy federal Nrewards secured 500 deposit (this card got unsecured after 5 months and I recieved a new limit of 2k and got my deposit back then product changed to the NFCU gorewards), and the citi diamond secured card 200 deposit. I also got a secured loan from self lender during this time 12 months so I have 5 months left with them. After about 6 months credit history and after my nrewards graduated I got confident and applied and got approved for 3 more cards the Discover it 1k limit, NFCU morerewards amex 3.2k limit, and the walmart store card 500 limit. So before I got my first cards I had zero credit so far everything I have is on time and I pay everything off in full every month. I just have a few questions for everyone with more experience. How long do you recommend I garden until I apply for my first amex? obviousy im way over the chase 5/24 so i dont plan on having a chase anytime soon. Also do you think I got too many accounts too soon or am I off to a great start for a longterm credit building strategy. Thank you everyone!

Current fico version 8 scores

Experian 739

Equifax 712

transunion 712

I have no baddies experian only has 1 inquiry the other two both have 7 inquiries

1. I recommend you garden for a year.

2. I think you got too many cards too soon, but thankfully your scores are good.

3. I think you're off to a good start.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

1. I recommend you garden for a year.

2. I think you got too many cards too soon, but thankfully your scores are good.

3. I think you're off to a good start.

Thanks for the advice! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Op

You got a nice hand of cards.....and an installment loan to boot..

Need to sit back and join us in the Garden....

You need to let them marinate and grow.....

You got a lot of good cards in a relatively short stint of time.... Let some of the small wounds heal... and let things stablize...

Seriously your all set for awhile.. as others have said.. id really be waiting at least a year before you try for some more cards... work with what you got for now.... youll have a solid foundation by then...

-J

Message 6 of 9
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Op

You got a lot of good cards in a relatively short stint of time.... Let some of the small wounds heal... and let things stablize...

Seriously your all set for awhile.. as others have said.. id really be waiting at least a year before you try for some more cards... work with what you got for now.... youll have a solid foundation by then...

-J

I'll second what joltdude says....Gardening is boring, but necessary for a strong and lasting credit profile.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Op

-J

Thanks for the advice I will definately be taking it and joining all the gardeners! Goal 24 months so I can get some nice chase cards but we will see how strong I am mentally these apps are addicting lol Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
sarge12
Senior Contributor

When entering the garden remember soft pull CLI's are allowed and actually encouraged....just make sure they are soft pulls. CLI's will help your score by decreasing utilization and lead to higher future SL on cards.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.