Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to forum & to credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to forum & to credit cards

Hi, I am new to all of this, and I am trying my best to navigate this forum, and understand all of the lingo. Smiley Happy

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit, and so far so good. I have a Capital One Card $600, Capital One card $500, Barclay Rewards card $1,500, Walmart store card $800 (opened today), Amazon Store card $700 (opened today), and that's it.

I have been rebuilding now for a little over a year, and my score is a 630. I usually use Credit karma or Capital One Credit Tracker. But today I did the scores and 3 reports from this site. All pretty much the same across all platforms. My score was a 550-560 last month, and has now gotten up to a 630+.

I have a few questions:

1. What cards are best/easiest to get that I'll use? (like maybe a gas card, other store cards etc??) I'll def use the Amazon & Walmart.

2. Will my Walmart & Amazon cards add multiple inquiries to my report? Or no, since it's issued from the same bank?

I guess that's it for now. Just wondering what are some other cards I MIGHT get approved for with my score. I could use a gas card for sure, because I travel 110 miles per day for work, just not sure what to apply for. There is a lot to learn out there, and looking for any help I can get.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: New to forum & to credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I usually use Credit karma or Capital One Credit Tracker.

Keep in mind that the scores provided by Credit Karma are only relevant to creditors that acutally use a TU or EQ Vantagescore.  Most creditors use one of the FICO models.

CO's Credit Tracker provides a TransUnion New Account score which is not used by any creditor.

@Anonymous wrote:

What cards are best/easiest to get that I'll use? (like maybe a gas card, other store cards etc??) I'll def use the Amazon & Walmart.

Your low limits (especially on the most recent cards) indicate that your creditors have concerns with your credit.  You also just added some new accounts.  You should identiify and work on addressing deficiencies with your credit and then apply for cards that are suited to your specific needs/wants versus applying for what you or others may think are easy to qualify for cards.

Best is always highly subjective and you need to give us the your criteria for best.  You need to clarify your needs/wants.  However, as I stated, I don't think you should be applying for anything at this point.

@Anonymous wrote:

Will my Walmart & Amazon cards add multiple inquiries to my report? Or no, since it's issued from the same bank? 

Assume a hard pull for each new account.  If you're not regularly reviewing your reports then definitely do so.  If you have been approved then your reports should already inciate the hard pulls which would have been added back when you applied.

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering what are some other cards I MIGHT get approved for with my score.

It's never just about score as far as approvals are concerned.  As far as cards are concerned, it's not just about getting approved.  Your credit and income determine not only whether you get approved but the limits, APR's etc that you qualify for.  Your credit profile detemrines how much new activity you can handle and evne without additional detials there are signs that your profile doesn't really support adding more cards.

Apply when your profile is stronger and in better shape.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what I mean by best. I was definitely looking for a gas card specifically, because of all my traveling for work. Just wasn't sure if there was one out there that was easier than other to apply for.

I should note that both my Cap One cards have $0 balance, paid in full every month, my Barclay card has $200 on it, which I already sent the full payment out for, and obviously the 2 store cards have a $0 balance as well.

So I am learning after all of my mistakes to be smart moving forward. I heard though that having cards over time, will help with my score and show lenders that other lenders have given me credit, etc.

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am new to all of this, and I am trying my best to navigate this forum, and understand all of the lingo. Smiley Happy

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit, and so far so good. I have a Capital One Card $600, Capital One card $500, Barclay Rewards card $1,500, Walmart store card $800 (opened today), Amazon Store card $700 (opened today), and that's it.

I have been rebuilding now for a little over a year, and my score is a 630. I usually use Credit karma or Capital One Credit Tracker. But today I did the scores and 3 reports from this site. All pretty much the same across all platforms. My score was a 550-560 last month, and has now gotten up to a 630+.

I have a few questions:

1. What cards are best/easiest to get that I'll use? (like maybe a gas card, other store cards etc??) I'll def use the Amazon & Walmart.

2. Will my Walmart & Amazon cards add multiple inquiries to my report? Or no, since it's issued from the same bank?

I guess that's it for now. Just wondering what are some other cards I MIGHT get approved for with my score. I could use a gas card for sure, because I travel 110 miles per day for work, just not sure what to apply for. There is a lot to learn out there, and looking for any help I can get.

Thanks!

1. You shouldn't apply for any more cards now. You've got the cards that are right for you at this stage. You should let your average age of accounts build, and your number of recent inquiries drop, so your scores will strengthen.

2. You don't need a bunch of store cards.

3.  Your Barclay Rewards is great for your gas purchases... use THAT.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
saint2saint2004
Established Member

Hello and congrats on your approvals....as far as a gas card goes...since you have been approved for amazon and walmart card, i would try CAR CARE ONE (same company synchrony) ..it can be used for tires, ect and most exxons and mobile stations for gas. Best of luck..hope this helps.Cat Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.