cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to forums -- Really want an AmEx... seeking pre-application advice :)

tag
codymac1984

New to forums -- Really want an AmEx... seeking pre-application advice :)

Hi all! Never posted here before, but I've lurked a bit and it seems all of you are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable; so, here I am!

A little background first: I'm currently rebuilding my credit -- or should say, have been for about 2 years. When I was young and stupid I had 3 CC's (two from Citi, one from Aspire (had never heard of them at the time). Anyway, I was young, dumb, in college and broke. Got behind, then gave up trying to pay back and focused on paying current bills as I was living away from home.

Fast-forward several years: Hadn't made a payment on any delinquent accounts in several years (roughly 5-7, not sure exactly) and I get smacked with a couple of suits, both Citi Bank. I was still poor and in school, so I managed to get a pro bono lawyer to help me out. One case was dismissed (didn't show up) other one showed, settled for $1000 (in Dec, 2010) which I paid off completely full Feb, 2012. Also in Feb 2012, got a co-signer and an auto loan for a desparately needed new vehicle. (Loan for $18,673, currently at $16,693) -- making more than min. payment each month.

Other debt is student loans which I just started repaying (approx $45k) -- all payments to this are autopay, so no lates, no misses, etc.

Currently I have 3 CCs. One Cap One Platinum MC ($500 CL / $0 BAL), Cap One Cash Rewards (Green) ($500 CL, $0 BAL) and JUST received my shiny new Chase Freedom Card ($1200 CL, $0 BAL), which I'm VERY happy about, having been denied by them earlier this year. 

As of this moment, scores are EX: 644, EQ: 653, TU: 666 (when I checked sometime last year I think i was around the 580 mark)

On all 3 reports, I have 2 baddies -- one being the judgement, which I am trying to get marked as paid (though I THOUGHT that was settled pre-judgement, but since we were IN the courhouse, not entirely certain). The other is the final Citi account from back in the day, currently owned by Asset Acceptance. They are showing an open date of 3/2010, which can't be right. I opened that card (I THINK) in or around 2005, and stopped paying on it no later than 2007, if not sooner (probably sooner). Trying to find a way to get rid of this since I think it has passed the reporting time limit (help?)

I have disputed some of this on the CRAs websites and not getting much of anywhere. Since my credit has been flawless for the past 2-4 years, no missed payments, no late payments of ANY kind, I'm making some progress.

Anyway, I REALLY want an AMEX in my garden, then I'll be totally happy. Before applying and being approved for the Chase Freedom, applied and denied Amex Blue (everyday I think?) -- however, I really want the regular Gold (or even Green if its actually easier?) I pay all my current CCs off at the end of the month anyway. Last AMEX app was 9/24 -- how long do I HAVE to wait to reapply for the green or gold? Any other advice? I'll hapily answer any other questions to me as well.

Thank you all for your help / advice!!

$1500 $1000 $1200 $5000 $3000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: New to forums -- Really want an AmEx... seeking pre-application advice :)

Welcome to the forum. Amex charge cards have the same UW, Green-Plat. If I understand correctly,you have an unpaid judgment and a CA/CO reporting as of 2010, two cc's reporting with CL's of $500 each and a recent denial from Amex.

What were the reasons for the denial? Have those items been addressed on your cr?

For help with Asset Acceptance, you may post in our Rebuilding Forum.
Message 2 of 6
codymac1984

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Actually the judgement was paid February 2013. I haven't seen the denial reasons yet.
Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think judgement is like a BK.... you need MANY years between that and an Amex approval...

Message 4 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I will assume the denial was due to recent/serious derogatory information- or something close to that wording. Amex is not out of the realm of possibility but I'm afraid a 2013 will probably delay your approval for a few years.

I would suggest writing GW letters for your baddies. Definitely seek assistance in our Rebuilding Forum.
Message 5 of 6
codymac1984

Thanks for the input! I'll ask over in the rebuilding forum too! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.