Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to prime

tag
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

New to prime

Having been stuck in subprimeville for a couple of years I've been fortunate enough to make headway into the prime credit arena. Now the dumb question. What is the difference, if any, between a Amex and USAA Amex?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: New to prime

USAA AMEX uses the AMEX network to process the card charges and is issued by USAA. In other words it's not an AMEX to an AMEX snob. To everyone not here on the forum it's an AMEX Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 8
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

Thanks. I liked the rate offered and the Amex logo fills the need. As long as it's accepted as Amex I'm good with it. Back to the garden that I haven't really left yet (two days ago).

Message 3 of 8
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Don't forget the best part - it's not accepted when amex is not accepted Smiley Sad so always carry a back up. 

Message 4 of 8
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

Oh ya! Got a full array now. MC, 2 Visa's, Discover IT and my newbie. I love this country Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 6 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

USAA AMEX uses the AMEX network to process the card charges and is issued by USAA. In other words it's not an AMEX to an AMEX snob. To everyone not here on the forum it's an AMEX Smiley Wink

+1 to that.   In just a little more detail:  Visa/MC are networks, they don't issue their own cards, banks do.   So there are Chase Visas, Cita Visas, Capital One Visas etc with most policies/rewards set by the issuers.   Amex and Discover are also networks, but in addition they DO issue their own cards.  They also allow others (for a fee of course) to issue cards that use the network, so Walmart Discover, USAA Amex.   These latter types of cards have policies/rewards set by the issuers and not by the network.

Message 7 of 8
distantarray
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I'm pretty sure most of the Amex Snobs here would trade their Delta Skypesos card for a USAA Amex in a heart beat =p

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.