trace404

Re: New to site and credit! Any advice?

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am definitely going to wait on applying for anymore lines of credit, so I'll be gardening with you all! By the way, I have 0%apr on my Capital One and Citi card, but I am still going to try to pay those down as soon as possible! Is there an ideal amount that I should have in savings? Also, what company would you recommend I refinance with? Thanks! 

Frequent Contributor
TheConductor

Re: New to site and credit! Any advice?

In the longer term, it is a good idea to have sufficient savings to cover 6 to 12 months of your total expenses (rent, car, groceries, gas, etc). 

For now, just focus on first saving enough to be secure in sudden short-term emergencies.  With your income, $500 to $1000 is probably sufficient to get you through a bad month. Once you amass an emergency fund, be disciplined about never touching it unless a real emergency comes up.  It's your personal safety net, not a trip to Bermuda fund.  :smileyhappy:

As for the refinance, shop around! There's no one best source for car loans or mortgages...they all offer different rates to different borrowers, so it's ultimately a matter of which lender regards you as less risky than the others.  Spend some time getting competing offers and take the best one you can find.

I will say that in general, I have had good luck getting favorable car loan terms from local credit unions, and they are good places to explore when you are shopping.  Even if you're not a member of a given CU yet, most will run your credit and quote you terms for the loan. If you choose to accept the offer, you'll just need to make a modest deposit (typically between $10 and $25) to open a savings share account and become a member of that CU before they can execute the loan.  

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+