Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the forums

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to the forums

Hey everyone,

I just have a question about obtaining a prime credit card. Which would be a decent card to shop for when trying to obtain your first one. I dont believe i have the score for one as of yet, but i am trying to see what options are out there.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: New to the forums

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone,

I just have a question about obtaining a prime credit card. Which would be a decent card to shop for when trying to obtain your first one. I dont believe i have the score for one as of yet, but i am trying to see what options are out there.

You mention Prime CC, what CC's do you have presently?

What type of CC are you looking to get? (Rewards, Cash Back, etc..etc...)

What are the negative factors still keeping your scores down?

What is your AAoA?

With some more information I am sure others will offer their opinions on better CC's.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now i have 8 credit cards

Secured Capitol One - 350 CL / 25 balance

Unsecured Capitol One - 500 CL / 56 balance

Old Navy/GECRB - 500 CL / 67 balance

Walmart/GECRB - 400 CL / 33 balance

HSBC/Best Buy - 500 CL / 72 Balance

HSBC/Orchard - 320 CL / 25 balance

Jared Jewelers - 400 CL / 0 balance

Speedway(Gas Card) - 400 CL / 0 balance

These are all low credit limits and my main goal would be to create an ideal credit portfolio where i can wrap these into 2 or 3 cards with a cashback/low APR. or anything like that.

I am not sure what AoAA is.

Oh my only negative is a charge off on a auto that was repossessed in 2004.

Message 3 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

That charge off should come off your CR soon, if not already.    Definitely wait until all 3 CR are clear before applying for anything.

Putting down a much larger deposit on the Capital One secured card may help get a larger limit card in the future.  

Next year, you will have 4 cards with Capital One, maybe you can consolidate at that time.  

Message 4 of 5
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

That charge off should come off your CR soon, if not already.    Definitely wait until all 3 CR are clear before applying for anything.

Putting down a much larger deposit on the Capital One secured card may help get a larger limit card in the future.  

Next year, you will have 4 cards with Capital One, maybe you can consolidate at that time.  

+1 

IME: Higher limits lead to higher limits, when approved for a new card. 

One of the things I did, when starting to build my credit; was pump up a secured card to $1500. For the most part; I was able to skip the low limit cards rut. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.